On the fiddle ...

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

On the fiddle ...

Post by daib0 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:41 pm

On the fiddle

No, not some kind of social-economic topic, or my dubious handling of any inter-forum game I organize, but daib0 here playing live on the cello ….

It's a small ask coming up – and I know it’s nothing to do at all with footie, but just hoping for a bit of extra comradeship, shouldn’t cost you hardly 3 mins!! Won’t pester again this year, promise.

You'll know I’m a cellist …. well, I’m happy to pass you the link of one of the most difficult pieces ever played on cello, just done. And I really enjoyed the challenge …!

YOU TUBE David Johnstone plays Sarasate Aires Bohemios on Cello

If you were able to share this link amongst a few friends & colleagues I would be very grateful indeed (‘cos it’s always the same, people think more visits = better, and to be honest that’s pretty hard to get on a ‘classical’ instrument like the cello.) … especially as I’m not registered for Facebook, LinkedIn etc. though I do make it on twitter. The thing is, people were asking for a close-up video to see for real, not the loads of audios which are already up on internet!!

daib0 / David
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Re: On the fiddle ...

Post by Duke » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Impressive <notbad>
I dunno

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:48 am

Heck, wish I was good at something.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 am

Truly fantastic. I remember watching or listening to you play in the past, you're really good. That was probably a violin piece originally, right? Can't imagine how solid that must be to play on the cello <laugh>.

Have you ever recorded the Ligeti sonata?

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster

Post by daib0 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm

skalpel wrote:Truly fantastic. I remember watching or listening to you play in the past, you're really good. That was probably a violin piece originally, right? Can't imagine how solid that must be to play on the cello <laugh>.

funny you mention that, I've played quite a bit of contemporary, like Lutoslawski, but never that sonata ...

However ... now to be dead honest with you all (I've said to a couple privately), I took life a bit too comfortably between 35 and 50, where I had this routine-ish job to pay the house and bills in a sort of regional orchestra never destined to go on world tours - came to a point when I thought my time might be passing too quickly so the last two or three years I've taken the cello far more seriously, really thought I could push myself much farther and demand things from myself that most other cellists wouldn't attempt, though it might be just only be for personal satisfaction - and now? Just hope I haven't peaked yet, hahaha!!

Thanks for your attention lads! <love>

David
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:50 pm

daib0 wrote:
skalpel wrote:Truly fantastic. I remember watching or listening to you play in the past, you're really good. That was probably a violin piece originally, right? Can't imagine how solid that must be to play on the cello <laugh>.

funny you mention that, I've played quite a bit of contemporary, like Lutoslawski, but never that sonata ...

However ... now to be dead honest with you all (I've said to a couple privately), I took life a bit too comfortably between 35 and 50, where I had this routine-ish job to pay the house and bills in a sort of regional orchestra never destined to go on world tours - came to a point when I thought my time might be passing too quickly so the last two or three years I've taken the cello far more seriously, really thought I could push myself much farther and demand things from myself that most other cellists wouldn't attempt, though it might be just only be for personal satisfaction - and now? Just hope I haven't peaked yet, hahaha!!

David
Good for you. You hear of people getting a second surge of energy like that but its rare, so its worth grabbing by the horns for sure. Have you written anything for cello? I'd love to hear it if you have. I've always wanted to play the cello, but I had a go once and something told me it wasn't my instrument.

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster

Post by daib0 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

skalpel wrote:
daib0 wrote:

David
Good for you. You hear of people getting a second surge of energy like that but its rare, so its worth grabbing by the horns for sure. Have you written anything for cello? I'd love to hear it if you have. I've always wanted to play the cello, but I had a go once and something told me it wasn't my instrument.

Loads!

Sheet Music: http://www.johnstone-music.com/portada/ ... ic/5/cello

Some audios of all types: http://www.johnstone-music.com/audio-vi ... 0Johnstone

By the way, back in early 90s (or was it even late 80s?) I did a bit of casual work for the Northern Sinfonia when they needed an extra cellist, so do know the area a wee bit ... lost touch now, wonder how they are doing now??

Still, footie has always been a great love of mine, won't be forgetting the forum world either!! <parrot>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:23 pm

daib0 wrote:
skalpel wrote:

Loads!

Sheet Music: http://www.johnstone-music.com/portada/ ... ic/5/cello

Some audios of all types: http://www.johnstone-music.com/audio-vi ... 0Johnstone

By the way, back in early 90s (or was it even late 80s?) I did a bit of casual work for the Northern Sinfonia when they needed an extra cellist, so do know the area a wee bit ... lost touch now, wonder how they are doing now??

Still, footie has always been a great love of mine, won't be forgetting the forum world either!! <parrot>
Cheers for the links!

Certainly worth checking in with the Northern Sinfonia <gent>.