Favourite documentaries

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Favourite documentaries

Post by skalpel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 am

overseasTOON wrote:
skalpel wrote:Gulag.

Exceptional documentary following first hand accounts of the impact of Stalin's reign of terror over ordinary people. It's like the stuff of the worst kind of dystopian fiction: tens of millions of people arrested for no reason and forced to confess to mysterious crimes before being forced into slave labour by their own country to build canals, railways, etc. until they became so worn out that they were shot in the head and dumped in the cement with whatever they were building. Children tortured physically and mentally and forced to accuse their parents of conspiracy. And it's all real <erk>.
I've been meaning to watch that. Hopefully be able to watch it on Friday when I'm off work.
It's a three parter, overall just over two hours I think. I can't believe I put off watching it for so long (first time watching it today), it's among the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 am

I'm enjoying anything about murders and serial killers at the moment. The psychology behind killers is pretty fascinating at times.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:57 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:I'm enjoying anything about murders and serial killers at the moment. The psychology behind killers is pretty fascinating at times.
I'm the same. I've spent hours reading about them on wikipedia <laugh>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Chappy wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:I'm enjoying anything about murders and serial killers at the moment. The psychology behind killers is pretty fascinating at times.
Not a documentary, but I've just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix which looks at the psychology of serial killers. Pretty decent so far.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Chappy wrote:
Not a documentary, but I've just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix which looks at the psychology of serial killers. Pretty decent so far.
I thought that was really good (gets a bit worse as the series goes on imo but defo excited for another series!)

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:21 pm

love chris markers stuff, sans soleil is gr8. more into film than docs was the other way round few years ago

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:30 pm

herzog too bt that goes without sayin lol