Favourite documentaries

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Re: Favourite documentaries

Post by Ramone » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:05 am

Been catching up on Louis Theroux's latest one about mental illness. Scary stuff at times.
REQUIEM

rockerjohn
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by rockerjohn » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:00 pm

I like all kinds of documentaries but i especailly like BBC Horizon science docs. One i watched recently was:

http://docur.co/documentary/to-infinity-and-beyond

Some mad theories here!

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Mike Loades is easily my favourite TV historian. Used to be on Time Commanders as the weapons expert just waving axes around willy nilly in the studio <awe>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Re: Books

Post by Toondes » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:53 pm

I know it's not a book but I would recommend the documentary by Alfred Hitchock called "night will fall". It's pretty gruesome but it's all archive footage from the concentration camps.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:16 pm

If only we had a thread on documentaries.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:21 pm

Pretty Terrible Attacking Options wrote:If only we had a thread on documentaries.
<coat>
# stolen from nufc.com :)

JFK-1
Wood's Touch

Post by JFK-1 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:24 pm

I have been living in the US for the past 4 years and the vast majority of suicides here are by gun. This country has a typical 12,000 murders a year by gun and even more suicides than that by gun. Research has tended to suggest that suicide is generally an impulse act so given that the US has more guns than people they have far more access to an almost guaranteed deadly means.

In Britain up until the 1950's and into the 1960's the bulk of suicides were by gas which tailed off to zero as the country gradually switched over from poisonous coal gas to natural gas which is non poisonous Now some might argue that if someone wants to kill themselves they will simply do it another way but in Britain once the gas was gone Suicide rates fell by 40% and stayed that way ever since.

The gas was just as deadly and arguably even more deadly than a gun. Just a few whiffs and you will be unconscious then dead inside a minute or even less so if not found almost immediately after beginning the act it's guaranteed death. Vastly more people survive attempted overdoses etc. than ever did suicide by gas while around one in ten survive a shot to the head.

It's known that it's most often an impulse act from studies of survivors. As an example one guy survived a jump from a bridge and it may even have been the golden gate bridge I can't recall but when talking to psychiatrists about it at a later time he said that he had been feeling down but hadn't been thinking about killing himself. It was an impulsive thought that popped into his head as he crossed the bridge so he jumped.

He said that virtually the instant he had stepped over and began to fall he already regretted it and wished he hadn't and that story is a familiar strand coming from many who have survived a suicide attempt. Take away a guaranteed means such as deadly gas or erect barriers at jumping spots and suicide rates fall. They aren't falling in the US because guns are ubiquitous and the people who sell them don't care how many people die for their profits. The gravy train must keep on rolling.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu May 19, 2016 8:54 am

That's a long title for a documentary
REQUIEM

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Thu May 19, 2016 9:22 am

Just watched "Where to invade next" pretty decent movie.

But my favorite are the Zeitgeist trilogy, although it's a bit difficult to understand at times. But probably because it's about the structure of modern world.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu May 19, 2016 11:04 am

JFK-1 wrote:In Britain up until the 1950's and into the 1960's the bulk of suicides were by gas which tailed off to zero as the country gradually switched over from poisonous coal gas to natural gas which is non poisonous Now some might argue that if someone wants to kill themselves they will simply do it another way but in Britain once the gas was gone Suicide rates fell by 40% and stayed that way ever since.
I wonder if many of those reported suicides were in fact accidental then.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu May 19, 2016 11:07 am

Anybody watched the two recent Louis Theroux documentaries? Felt so amazingly bad for that bloke in the brain injury one, where the guy's wife doesn't even like him after her injury and he's doing literally everything; work, housework, raising the kids, looking after mentally damaged wife who doesn't like him...

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu May 19, 2016 11:22 am

skalpel wrote:Anybody watched the two recent Louis Theroux documentaries? Felt so amazingly bad for that bloke in the brain injury one, where the guy's wife doesn't even like him after her injury and he's doing literally everything; work, housework, raising the kids, looking after mentally damaged wife who doesn't like him...
Yeah, that was rough.

Also thought Louis was going to get punched off that kid when he told him to apologise to his mum <laugh>
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu May 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Ramone wrote:
skalpel wrote:Anybody watched the two recent Louis Theroux documentaries? Felt so amazingly bad for that bloke in the brain injury one, where the guy's wife doesn't even like him after her injury and he's doing literally everything; work, housework, raising the kids, looking after mentally damaged wife who doesn't like him...
Yeah, that was rough.

Also thought Louis was going to get punched off that kid when he told him to apologise to his mum <laugh>
<laugh> I thought exactly the same. Guy was stood there with upper arms about as thick as Theroux's head, and in a bad mood. Stop taunting him for losing at FIFA, fool.

JFK-1
Wood's Touch

Post by JFK-1 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:16 pm

skalpel wrote:
JFK-1 wrote:In Britain up until the 1950's and into the 1960's the bulk of suicides were by gas which tailed off to zero as the country gradually switched over from poisonous coal gas to natural gas which is non poisonous Now some might argue that if someone wants to kill themselves they will simply do it another way but in Britain once the gas was gone Suicide rates fell by 40% and stayed that way ever since.
I wonder if many of those reported suicides were in fact accidental then.
Accidentally stuck their head in an unlit gas oven with the gas turned on? ;)

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu May 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Well, yeah obviously not those poor bastards.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 19, 2016 9:30 pm

No I missed those unfortunately. I'm terrible at following tv schedules and almost always miss stuff.

Looking forward to his new feature length documentary about Scientology though. Looking very interesting.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 pm

Is it a cinema release or a tv release?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 19, 2016 9:40 pm

skalpel wrote:Is it a cinema release or a tv release?
Cinema I think. There are quite a few vids on youtube of him discussing it, but here is the trailer;

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 pm

<laugh> Fantastic. I've been waiting years for him to bring humour back into his work.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 19, 2016 10:06 pm

skalpel wrote:<laugh> Fantastic. I've been waiting years for him to bring humour back into his work.
"are you making a documentary too? ... and if so who is your one for?" <laugh>

To be fair judging by one of the interview vids i've watched he seemed to be quite unsettled by some of the intimidation tactics used against him, so I think the levity might be a bit of a coping mechanism at times. Although not in that trailer scene though because that was laughable. <laugh>