Game of Thrones

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by PTAO? » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Heisen wrote:
SpoilerShow
I just was a bit disappointed that with there only being 14 episodes left, last night didn't really advance the plot at all. I was kind of expecting each episode to throw a few big moments in there. The massacre of the Freys was pretty awesome but other than that, I feel you could probably skip from the end of the last season to episode 2 and not really miss anything. Probably more a victim of my own high expectations tbh.
SpoilerShow
I'm hoping it's the case of setting it all up for the rest of the season. You're probably right in that most of the episode could have been summed up in a few conversations "Word from Sam, he hates it in Old Town but he's managed to get some books and is invetsigating for us" "Daenerys has arrived at Dragonstone" but that would have been a lot more boring. Agree the opening scene was great though.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:46 pm

SpoilerShow
Ed f***ing Sheeran <disgrace>

Why put that ginger burnt victim looking cronut in GoT? Or him from This is England...
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Micky Quim wrote:Enjoyed it a lot - there is no need for cameos, even Jim Broadbents was unnecessary. I was very confused at first with the opening scene but quickly guessed what was going on
Is his a cameo? I thought the same until Sam called him Archmaester, could easily have a recurring role and as an established actor I wouldn't call that a cameo.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 pm

ALF wrote:
Micky Quim wrote:Enjoyed it a lot - there is no need for cameos, even Jim Broadbents was unnecessary. I was very confused at first with the opening scene but quickly guessed what was going on
Is his a cameo? I thought the same until Sam called him Archmaester, could easily have a recurring role and as an established actor I wouldn't call that a cameo.
Bit late to be introducing big new characters - no need for a big star to enter now, they should stick with the recruitment of unknown stars

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 pm

I thought it was a very decent opening episode tbh. The opening Frey scene was great.

I was surprised it was available to stream on nowtv before the 9pm showing. <notbad>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Solid opener, good reintroduction.
SpoilerShow
Sheeran scene was s*** though, Broadbent seems like a recurring role

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 pm

SpoilerShow
Why is Thomas Turgoose in this <laugh> Sat about 3 metres away from him at a restaurant over here about 3 months ago <awe>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Why the f*** did they put Sheeran in it? Did some record company pay them a s*** load of money or something? Really annoyed me. He's a shocking actor
I dunno

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 am

Didn't think Sheeran was so bad, he sang a bit then had about two lines. He also looks like a carrot crunching farmboy/Worzel Gummidge type so I don't think it was dreadfully miscast.

I think he's mates with Maisie Williams & Sophie Turner and it was arranged through them having a word with the programme runners. No harm in it as far as I'm concerned, one of the guys from Coldplay was at the Red Wedding so it's not the first time.

I do however have a problem with the writing,
SpoilerShow
Sam Tarley making out it's new information that there's Dragon glass at Dragonstone. Firstly, dur, where else would it be likely to be and secondly Stannis told him it was there in Series 5!!!
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 am

Alfie wrote:Didn't think Sheeran was so bad, he sang a bit then had about two lines. He also looks like a carrot crunching farmboy/Worzel Gummidge type so I don't think it was dreadfully miscast.

I think he's mates with Maisie Williams & Sophie Turner and it was arranged through them having a word with the programme runners. No harm in it as far as I'm concerned, one of the guys from Coldplay was at the Red Wedding so it's not the first time.

I do however have a problem with the writing,
SpoilerShow
Sam Tarley making out it's new information that there's Dragon glass at Dragonstone. Firstly, dur, where else would it be likely to be and secondly Stannis told him it was there in Series 5!!!
The previous cameos have been a lot more subtle though. They really shoved it down our throats.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:32 am

I don't watch GoT, but in general I think it hugely degrades shows when they stick a random celebrity in there for the sake of it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Only start watching it recently, caught up before Season 7 started.

tbh I don't see what the fuss is about found it all a little meh

Ramsey Bolton was the best character though
I'll Hazard a guess

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 pm

SpoilerShow
I was convinced the Hound couldn't actually see anything in the fire and was waiting for him to insult them in classic Hound fashion. <urgh>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 am

SpoilerShow
Was the family that the Hound buried someone we've seen before?
REQUIEM

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 am

Ramone wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Yeah. Back when he was travelling with Arya they were taken in by a man and his young daughter. They gave them a roof for a night and the daughter made them rabbit stew. He then offered The Hound a job working on his farm. In the morning The Hound beat him up and robbed him. Arya argued with him and he told her the guy was weak, that they would die come winter and that the dead didn't need silver. You probably remember it now? <ok>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Ramone wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Yeah. Back when he was travelling with Arya they were taken in by a man and his young daughter. They gave them a roof for a night and the daughter made them rabbit stew. He then offered The Hound a job working on his farm. In the morning The Hound beat him up and robbed him. Arya argued with him and he told her the guy was weak, that they would die come winter and that the dead didn't need silver. You probably remember it now? <ok>
<ok> Completely forgot, makes sense now.

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

TBC wrote:
SpoilerShow
I was convinced the Hound couldn't actually see anything in the fire and was waiting for him to insult them in classic Hound fashion. <urgh>
SpoilerShow
Same! I was so ready for that to happen. I'm looking forward to a different side to him though. One with a purpose, possibly a new found faith
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 am

A cousin of one of my friends has recently had a baby girl; she's decided to call it 'Khaleesi Blu' <laugh>

Naming it Khaleesi because of being a GoT fan is tragic enough, but compound that by giving it the middle name 'Blu' as that's what Beyonce called her kid <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:06 am

<puke>
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

I'm sure I can remember a bit on Look North back in the 90s about a family with a daughter called Keegan, a son called Beardsley and another on the way which they were planning on calling Gullit <worried>.