Cricket

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Cricket

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Cricket commentary when a match is off due to bad conditions is quite possibly the greatest thing to listen to. The randomness of it all is just brilliant and quintessentially British.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:18 pm
Cricket commentary when a match is off due to bad conditions is quite possibly the greatest thing to listen to. The randomness of it all is just brilliant and quintessentially British.
It really is, shame this match is such a farce.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:29 pm

This Ashes series is starting to look like a cracker.

Utterly flummoxed when England declared late last night but they got at them early and looked like Australia could have been in trouble.

Aussies have managed to hang in there with a great batting display.

This series might just be bloody good!!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:50 pm

Ashes has lost a lot of its spark since it moved away from free view tv. Even non cricket fans used to get into it quite often, now it’s easy to forget it’s even on let alone know who’s doing what.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:49 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:50 pm
Ashes has lost a lot of its spark since it moved away from free view tv. Even non cricket fans used to get into it quite often, now it’s easy to forget it’s even on let alone know who’s doing what.
Were plenty of sparks flying yesterday!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:57 am

ALF wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:49 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:50 pm
I don't know the details, but surely it's just a case of 'play to the whistle'? If Bairstow walked out his crease (almost immediately) and the official hadn't called the over then it was just a legal and opportunist move from the Aussies?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:03 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:57 am
ALF wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:49 am

I don't know the details, but surely it's just a case of 'play to the whistle'? If Bairstow walked out his crease (almost immediately) and the official hadn't called the over then it was just a legal and opportunist move from the Aussies?
Legal? Yes. The issue is with the 'spirit of the game'. He wasn't trying to run or gain an advantage. He ducked the short ball, scraped his foot to mark his ground in the crease and then stepped out as they do. It was naive to do it so swiftly but he probably did not expect to be stumped.

People have made comparisons to a couple of other times this has happened, De Grandhomme being one, but on those occasions it's been the batter stepping out as he has played his shot rather than walking out as he thinks the ball is dead.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:15 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:03 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:57 am

Legal? Yes. The issue is with the 'spirit of the game'. He wasn't trying to run or gain an advantage. He ducked the short ball, scraped his foot to mark his ground in the crease and then stepped out as they do. It was naive to do it so swiftly but he probably did not expect to be stumped.

People have made comparisons to a couple of other times this has happened, De Grandhomme being one, but on those occasions it's been the batter stepping out as he has played his shot rather than walking out as he thinks the ball is dead.
Either way he probably won't do it again. "Spirit of the game" is always a weird one. Tbh it pissed me off no end when players kick the ball out of play when someone clearly isn't badly injured or it isn't a head injury. I know it's not quite the same, but falls under that umbrella. I'd say if it was in the rules you take it on the chin, move on, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm

Gutted for Bairstow. Stranded on 99 not out after an absolutely phenomenal knock. <applause>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:02 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm
Gutted for Bairstow. Stranded on 99 not out after an absolutely phenomenal knock. <applause>
Great knock from him. Feel like we'll regret not declaring earlier though!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:23 pm

ALF wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:02 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm
Great knock from him. Feel like we'll regret not declaring earlier though!
Just read this. Three hours ago I would have agreed with you, but the Aussies just having lost their 4th wicket i'm feeling pretty confident right now. <scratch>