The F1 Thread

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: The F1 Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 am

Handy with a screwdriver?

A position in the pit crew has just opened up at Haas.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:13 am

<laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:For me it's unnecessary, F1 has an amazing safety record over the past 20 years or so. I fail to see how the halo would stop small bits of debris potentially hitting a driver (Massa style), a clear perspex screen would have been better at that. Compare F1 to MotoGP, one is far safer yet they're not talking about putting stabilisers on motorbikes.

Anyway, we can forget the halo sideshow for now. I'm up early, coffee in hand and ready to go racing!
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily suggesting it is going to make it safer, and I think there are plenty of fair arguments like yours. I was more annoyed that he was arguing that making the sport safer ruins the excitement of it all.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:For me it's unnecessary, F1 has an amazing safety record over the past 20 years or so. I fail to see how the halo would stop small bits of debris potentially hitting a driver (Massa style), a clear perspex screen would have been better at that. Compare F1 to MotoGP, one is far safer yet they're not talking about putting stabilisers on motorbikes.

Anyway, we can forget the halo sideshow for now. I'm up early, coffee in hand and ready to go racing!
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily suggesting it is going to make it safer, and I think there are plenty of fair arguments like yours. I was more annoyed that he was arguing that making the sport safer ruins the excitement of it all.
Was this one of the Canadian commentators or do you watch it on Sky F1 and get the same guys that we get (Ted Kravitz, Crofty, Brundle etc.). I only saw the last 20 mins of the pre race show.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily suggesting it is going to make it safer, and I think there are plenty of fair arguments like yours. I was more annoyed that he was arguing that making the sport safer ruins the excitement of it all.
Was this one of the Canadian commentators or do you watch it on Sky F1 and get the same guys that we get (Ted Kravitz, Crofty, Brundle etc.). I only saw the last 20 mins of the pre race show.
Was watching it on a Canadian channel, but they were showing the Sky feed. In doing some research I guess ESPN/TSN has partnered with Sky to show their coverage in North America. But as much as I've now scanned through Sky's website to figure out who it was, I'd have to see the video to remember, because I'm really not too knowledgeable about F1 coverage. Doesn't really matter I guess.

Point was, I'm all for debates over its actual safety merits, I don't have much patience for the debate that safety shouldn't be improved when possible because the danger and risk to drivers is all part of the excitement of watching.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Verstappen showing why he won't get a drive in a Mercedes or Ferrari just yet. Careless error that he didn't have to make. He's all or nothing which can be great but he needs to be smarter.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Two races and three cars forced to retire after pit stop bodges.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Lots of people online seem to be saying that was a great race. I must have missed something.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Lots of people online seem to be saying that was a great race. I must have missed something.
I enjoyed it <ok>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Lots of people online seem to be saying that was a great race. I must have missed something.
I enjoyed it <ok>
Really? The only real interest for me was the last few laps when Bottas might have caught Vettel. Other than that there wasn't much happening other than lots of easy DRS overtakes. 80% of the race was pretty processional and about pit tactics rather than racing (I appreciate that's all part of modern F1, but I like seeing racing on track).

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: I enjoyed it <ok>
Really? The only real interest for me was the last few laps when Bottas might have caught Vettel. Other than that there wasn't much happening other than lots of easy DRS overtakes. 80% of the race was pretty processional and about pit tactics rather than racing (I appreciate that's all part of modern F1, but I like seeing racing on track).
There were some good battles, Verstappen and Hammy at the start. I enjoyed Hammy moving up through the field. I thought the different strategies at Ferrari and Merc were interesting, was hoping Bottas would get Vettel. And then there was pit crewe member being mowed down. There was loads happening!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
There were some good battles, Verstappen and Hammy at the start. I enjoyed Hammy moving up through the field. I thought the different strategies at Ferrari and Merc were interesting, was hoping Bottas would get Vettel. And then there was pit crewe member being mowed down. There was loads happening!
Yeah but Hamilton v Verstappen was one lap at most until Verstappen monged up. Would have been a much better race had the Red Bulls not retired early. Hamilton did well but most of his passes were easy DRS ones (other than the one impressive one where he took two at the same time). Different strategies were interesting but didn't result in much on track action. Each to their own tho!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:30 am

This is easily the best race of the season!

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:This is easily the best race of the season!
This season too is shaping up nicely as a whole.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Haas <laugh>

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:20 pm

God dammit Ericsson

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:40 pm

What a great race! That simply had it all.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Just caught up, not a lot happened there <laugh>

That Red Bull collision was coming for most of the race, Bottas had luck to get in with a great chance of winning then no luck with his puncture. Bet Hamilton can't believe it <laugh>

Oh, Grosjean <laugh>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:36 pm

WTF was Grosjean on about... "Ericsson hit me..." <laugh> f***ing tool

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:05 am

Micky Quim wrote:WTF was Grosjean on about... "Ericsson hit me..." <laugh> f***ing tool
His after race chat he claimed he'd accidently changed brake settings while warming his tyres and then a gust of wind made him crash.