Dota 2 - Now with Source 2

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Dota 2 - Now with Source 2

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:45 pm

Havent played non-bot games for a little while because of holiday. Wanting to play normal games though, instead of limited hero ones because they just seem to end in 20min one sided stomps. Still struggling on being consistent with last hits though :(

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 pm

The usual recommendation if people want to work on their last hitting is to play as Shadow Fiend mid without any players or bots (just you and the creeps, set up a custom lobby and start with only you in a player slot) and try to keep the creep equilibrium in the river while getting at least 50 last hits by 10 minutes, your denies should be pretty high too when you do this.

If you haven't enabled right click to attack friendly targets already, you probably want to do that (and get a nice autoexec.cfg set up), let me know if you haven't and need help there.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Ill try that tonight, im just using the standard A+click at the minute.

Any reason why Shadowfiend? Poor starting damage or something?

Just need to get better of it because i want to start playing Faceless Void, obviously going for a quick Hand of Midas needs last hits... Going for last hits (as melee) with void (low health) early on seams a bit fo a nightmare for me if im harrassed in the lane.

Its just early on in the laning phase i need to get a lot better with i think. Fine gankging, but its the LH/D that needs major work.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 pm

He has the joint lowest starting damage (35-41) until Techies is released (29-31). I'm not sure if you're meant to skill Shadowraze/Necromastery while doing that challenge, but as a hero he is all about getting those early last hits and balling out of control.

Sounds like you're not laning with good support(s), since they should be trying to zone out the opposition to protect your farm. Try taking more regen to lane, buying a Stout Shield (build into a Poor Man's Shield early on) and always having a Timewalk ready. Don't be afraid to build a Quelling Blade either, 225g from the side shop and quickly pays for itself, while being a great farm accelerator (+32% dmg to non-heroes) until you need that slot for a bigger item.

What kind of Void are you trying to play? It might be worth dropping the Midas if you don't have a team that intends to go late or that is built around the Chrono, since Void is pretty worthless apart from that until he gets a few damage items. If you're trying to carry, don't go for Midas when you're under pressure and your supports aren't buying you time/space to farm, you probably can't afford to delay coming online by 2050 gold.

Try a more early-mid game build like PMS, Treads, MoM, Maelstrom, Aghanim's (then Mjollnir/Daedalus/Butterfly depending on how things go) only going for Midas when you know you can do it without having to fight in the first 20-30 minutes (or if you're solo offlane where levels are all that matters).

EDIT: Just did a quick unfair bot match to make sure the build was right (it is) and had a nice bug where a double damage Sven was unaffected by my Chrono. <grr> He wasn't using BKB; nothing in logs, no BKB effect and it would have dispelled his DD. Just casually slid from one side to the other, storm hammered and ran off to his team.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Ouch, nice bug! Also, is your mam littered with chequered pink squares on trees lately?

Ive never tried going Aghanim's. Always tended to skip it going MoM, Mjollnir, Daedalus. Also seen a few go bf, but think id prefer the MoM effect.

Ill give this Shadow Fiend a go then. Last Hits is definitley something i need to improve on early game, regardless of whether bad supports arent keeping ranged heroes off my void. Cheers!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Battlefury Void is a holdover from before Maelstrom/Mjollnir got buffed several times, I wouldn't recommend it since the lightning hammers are much easier to build and just plain give you more, unless the opposition are stupid enough to clump up in which case they'll probably lose regardless of what you buy.

To fix the pink squares, which indicate a missing texture, try verifying the game cache (in Steam right click Dota 2, properties, local files, verify).

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:18 pm

I'll have a go, it only started a few days ago after a new update and has been there since through various other small ones.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Whats your Steam ID Cal?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:42 am

I'm out of practice at the moment, but http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nubikal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:17 pm

So... 6.82 is pretty scary. So many big changes.

http://www.dota2.com/rekindlingsoul/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:49 pm

A lot seemed needed, but others just seem to be done purely to shake it up.

No more deathball though which made TI4 suck major balls. Introduced ways to make meaningful comebacks too.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm interested to see how the pro games change. Good to see bottlecrowing die, dire advantage nullified, and a lot more early movement since river control is more important than ever. I like the simplification of damage types too, yeah it removes a bunch of the arbitrary knowledge you could exploit, but clarity is more important.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Yeah, being reasonably new i never looked toooo much into damage types, so its nice that its clarified more now. Not sure im a fan of the lanes and juke spots being clearer though.

Id expect a lot more team fights aruound the river now though!

A few big hero changes as well from memory... Riki, Chen, Tinker.

Has it had a release date yet?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Typically they don't take long between announcement and release, they're constantly fixing bugs in the test client and once they're happy that they've got the majority/the most pressing issues sorted, it'll be released. This one might take a little longer though due to how big the changes are.

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Came out last night with an imediate fix patch straight afterwards as well hah!

Won my last game of 6.81 and opening game of 6.82 though :)

Played as Riki just before the patch and then played against him every game following the patch. Havent had a chance to test his new ulti blink yet.

Played as Drow mid in the opening game though and having 2 runes appear was great. If youre a little ahead and start getting bounty ones and damage ones you can really snowball.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Mother of Shola... It's here.

http://www.dota2.com/reborn/part1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Got back from holiday this weekend, went to download it straight away.... PC shut down unexpectedly. Now its creamcrackered :(

It will turn on and run as normal without beeping, but the monitor isnt displaying anything... so no idea what the problem is.

I just want to try these custom games :'(