Post by Ramone » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:15 pm

f***ing hell <****>
REQUIEM

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Re: Gender Inequality: Objectification, Discrimination, Mone

Post by KingoStarr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 pm

If people think that capital punishment is the right answer why not literally look at America and its judicial system which is lightyears behind us.

Also harsher prisons etc. leads to more violence so when people leave prison they have contacts and gangs whom they met in jail and got out before them as well as being hyped up in violent surrounds for 15 years.

Are we too soft on criminals in the UK? Yes
Should we be killing people for their crimes? Absolutely not
Should we make prison a place you dont want to be whilst rehabilitating people? Yes

I understand people say eye for an eye but people can be rehabilitated and killing them just makes society a band of killers.
Also I understand it happens a lot lot less these days but what about a case in which the wrong person is prosecuted are they going to be brought back from beyond the grave?
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:21 pm

TJR wrote:
The Dream Boat wrote:
The problem is that we do neither. You're not focusing on any of the problems needed to be solved to stop offending and re-offending you're simply going for a throw away the key approach which doesn't help anyone. It leads to a massive prison population (which in the end costs more than rehab) and much higher recidivism rates if the offender does ever get out.
Kill the **** that don't deserve to live. If you kill someone you should be killed yourself its whats fair and what you deserve. If you take away someone right to live why should you still be entitled to that right? Capital punishment for peados as well, they don't deserve anything less. That'll save the money of keeping them in prison for life or rehabilitating them.
Also anyone who has committed a crime such as murder or rape etc shouldn't be rehabilitated anyway, why would anyone want to release those scum back into society to do what they want again? They have already proved that they can't be trusted in society and no one like that deserves a second chance. Even if there was only 0.0001% chance that 0.0001% of those rehabilitated would re offend its not worth the risk.
Obviously there are some people who's crimes are so serious that they should never be let out of prison but some of the stuff people are suggesting is straight from the 18th Century. I can sort of understand why you want to kill murderers and rapists but the criminal justice system isn't a means for peoples revenge on offenders. Also the fact that you say that even if offenders only had a 0.00001% chance of re offending it wouldn't be good enough is a bit strange considering that the number of miscarriages of justice leading to deaths would probably be higher than that which is unacceptable. Capital punishment is not the answer for anything.

Death row also doesn't save any money due to the number of appeals you have to allow and the maximum security prisons you have to keep inmates on death row in.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
The Dream Boat wrote:
The problem is that we do neither. You're not focusing on any of the problems needed to be solved to stop offending and re-offending you're simply going for a throw away the key approach which doesn't help anyone. It leads to a massive prison population (which in the end costs more than rehab) and much higher recidivism rates if the offender does ever get out.
Capital punishment for murderers, paedophiles and that kind of scum will keep the prison pop to a sustainable level. I don't see why tax payers should have to fund long prison sentences for people who don't deserve to live, let alone be rehabilitated.

It's impossible to stop a lot of people offending regardless of how much money is thrown at it.

As I said earlier, I agree that for more minor and unserious crimes then by all means rehabilitate and educate offenders. I've no problem with that (but would still remove a lot of their luxuries they get access to in prison) - my point is that the true scum of society have no right to the same treatment.
Paedophiles aren't scum. Their crimes are disgusting but they're dealing with a serious mental health issue described in the DSM. Do you actually think they want to be attracted to children? That's a debate which will throw this thread completely off topic however. <laugh>

On your why should tax payers fork out for prisoners and rehab etc well they should fork out because the cost of crime and reoffending is far greater than keeping someone in prison/rehabilitating them.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Capital punishment for murderers, paedophiles and that kind of scum will keep the prison pop to a sustainable level. I don't see why tax payers should have to fund long prison sentences for people who don't deserve to live, let alone be rehabilitated.

It's impossible to stop a lot of people offending regardless of how much money is thrown at it.

As I said earlier, I agree that for more minor and unserious crimes then by all means rehabilitate and educate offenders. I've no problem with that (but would still remove a lot of their luxuries they get access to in prison) - my point is that the true scum of society have no right to the same treatment.
Paedophiles aren't scum. Their crimes are disgusting but they're dealing with a serious mental health issue described in the DSM. Do you actually think they want to be attracted to children? That's a debate which will throw this thread completely off topic however. <laugh>

On your why should tax payers fork out for prisoners and rehab etc well they should fork out because the cost of crime and reoffending is far greater than keeping someone in prison/rehabilitating them.
I'm sure a % of paedophiles have sufficient insight to realise what they're doing is wrong but do it anyway. There is no way that anyone could say that 100% of paedophiles don't want to be attracted to kids and don't know that their actions are wrong.

Lets throw this bad boy off topic again <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Paco
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by Paco » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:26 pm

I don't know what the stats are, but those who are suggesting that "all murderers and paedophiles should be [insert punishment here]" should seriously reconsider their position. Some murders are going to be pre-meditated, cold-blooded etc, a few will be by serial killers, but many will be as a result of circumstance - your wife's lover, lashing out to bullying etc. Whatever your view on the punishment, you have to take a case-by-case basis.

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Post by Lord Porpington » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Paedophile does not = Child molester.

Paedophile = Attraction to prepubescent children. This does not meant they will automatically molest children, the same way sadists who enjoy inflicting pain on others aren't automatically going to hurt people against their will.

But addressing an above point - No one chooses to be a paedophile, and it is not a sickness. It's just some people are born with an attraction to children, the same way most of us are attracted to people of the opposite sex, and homosexuals to the same sex.

Age of consent laws didn't come into place until the the middle ages, where Edward I made the age of consent 12 years old. There were particular cultures where it was considered normal for a noble man to have a wife and a family, but also a young boy or girl as a bit on the side.

It's not right, and I'm not condoning it, but we consider it evil because we've grown to understand the pain it can cause someone that's too young for it.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Paco wrote:I don't know what the stats are, but those who are suggesting that "all murderers and paedophiles should be [insert punishment here]" should seriously reconsider their position. Some murders are going to be pre-meditated, cold-blooded etc, a few will be by serial killers, but many will be as a result of circumstance - your wife's lover, lashing out to bullying etc. Whatever your view on the punishment, you have to take a case-by-case basis.
Crimes of passion, heat of the moment, wrong place wrong time is one thing. People committing pre meditated murder deserve to die.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Paco
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by Paco » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Paco wrote:I don't know what the stats are, but those who are suggesting that "all murderers and paedophiles should be [insert punishment here]" should seriously reconsider their position. Some murders are going to be pre-meditated, cold-blooded etc, a few will be by serial killers, but many will be as a result of circumstance - your wife's lover, lashing out to bullying etc. Whatever your view on the punishment, you have to take a case-by-case basis.
Crimes of passion, heat of the moment, wrong place wrong time is one thing. People committing pre meditated murder deserve to die.
Well, there needs to be a difference! A couple (TJR) were just grouping them all together. I disagree with the other comment though

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Lord Porpington wrote:Paedophile does not = Child molester.

Paedophile = Attraction to prepubescent children. This does not meant they will automatically molest children, the same way sadists who enjoy inflicting pain on others aren't automatically going to hurt people against their will.

But addressing an above point - No one chooses to be a paedophile, and it is not a sickness. It's just some people are born with an attraction to children, the same way most of us are attracted to people of the opposite sex, and homosexuals to the same sex.

Age of consent laws didn't come into place until the the middle ages, where Edward I made the age of consent 12 years old. There were particular cultures where it was considered normal for a noble man to have a wife and a family, but also a young boy or girl as a bit on the side.

It's not right, and I'm not condoning it, but we consider it evil because we've grown to understand the pain it can cause someone that's too young for it.
It should be treat like a sickness even if you don't believe it is like I do it's in the DSM after all . People saying that they should be put to death is completely backwards.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:44 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:
Lord Porpington wrote:Paedophile does not = Child molester.

It should be treat like a sickness even if you don't believe it is like I do it's in the DSM after all . People saying that they should be put to death is completely backwards.
Whilst I agree that paedos are unwell, the DSM isn't worth wiping my PSA-free arse with.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Paco wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Well, there needs to be a difference! A couple (TJR) were just grouping them all together. I disagree with the other comment though
Pre-meditated murder, aka consciously going out of your way to deliberately end the life of another human being. I think 'consciously' and 'deliberately' are important words there and equal capital punishment.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 am

The comments section of this post is getting a lot of attention since it's the usual mix of internet hate, playing down issues and occasional reason but with names and titles attached - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... gdc-awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turns out that the main problem guy is from my uni (different courses now, but shared classes first year), I think I've just witnessed the death of his career before it even starts.

PFT

Post by PFT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:42 am

Cal wrote:The comments section of this post is getting a lot of attention since it's the usual mix of internet hate, playing down issues and occasional reason but with names and titles attached - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... gdc-awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turns out that the main problem guy is from my uni (different courses now, but shared classes first year), I think I've just witnessed the death of his career before it even starts.
which one is he?
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:44 am

Iron Mikes Tiny Eyes wrote:
Cal wrote:The comments section of this post is getting a lot of attention since it's the usual mix of internet hate, playing down issues and occasional reason but with names and titles attached - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... gdc-awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which one is he?
Paul.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 am

Is the fact that I refer to men's football as football, and women's football to women's football sexist? My sister thinks so and I get in many arguments about why I can refer to men's football as just football. It is pretty annoying, but I do get her point that the majority of women's football gets lost among the sport. But then again, I watch football to see a good match, with strong tackles, controversy, good crowds (I don't consider loads of women screaming at the ball, high pitched, to be a good crowd), the pinnacle of skill and athleticism, and some great goals, and (men's) football seems to offer that in bucketloads compared to women's football.

Pardew's Legendary Specs
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Pardew's Legendary Specs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 am

It's how everyone refers to it. In most sports the women's sport is considered secondary, often with incentives to get it going.

The argument against this being sexist is that in quite a lot of the sports I think the women can chose to play in the 'men's' game making it the sport rather than the male version
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 am

I don't think it's sexist on your part, it's more the result of an entrenched sexism at an organisational level (the FA banned women's football in the 20s because it was getting as popular as the men's game). I also think the real problem with women's football is that, at the moment, it is so underdeveloped at all levels above about U14s that compared to the hyper-developed men's game it is s***. In reality, the top level women are something like Conference level or lower (obviously, it's less physical than men's so it's not a direct comparison) due to the poorer training facilities and infrastructure. However, in future I see the gap getting less and less, as the infrastructure improves and so on. Men's football does offer more than women's football, for now. There's no reason, in future, men's and women's football can't be (essentially) equal like men's and women's tennis or men's and women's any other sport. I think it'll happen when more Premier League clubs affiliate with women's sides. If I ran Newcastle, the first thing I'd do would be to bring NUWFC in-house, have them playing at SJP with free entry for regular season ticket holders. The audience would go up, the profile would go up, and the sport would benefit.
I had the first custom w***

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 am

It pisses me off when the BBC tricks me into clicking links about Women's Football by not making it clear in the headline.

Pardew's Legendary Specs
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Pardew's Legendary Specs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:01 am

Tirer le Ryan Oison Uneski wrote:It pisses me off when the BBC tricks me into clicking links about Women's Football by not making it clear in the headline.
They did it for a coupes of weeks <laugh>

It does virtually always say women's football etc now
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>