6%

Total votes: 36

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Re: Your School

Post by Swarlos » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:19 pm

LaFraise92 wrote:
Swarlos wrote:Went to a private school aswell. I had one year in a state school in reception, but my parents complained that I learnt to swear aged 6 (among other reasons). I don't see the obsession by certain members of society in public schooling; if your parents can pay for it, and they want to give you a good education, so be it. By the time I realised I was lucky or there was a stigma with it, I'd already been there a number of years and wouldn't want to change. At a more mature age, we absolutely acknowledge our privilege.

My school had average to good A Level and GCSE results, but compared to some state schools, and with our resources, my school massively underperforms and still does (I have a sister who has recently left). We had some amazing teachers, but some absolutely awful ones, and I am slightly confused as to whether I believe I would've got a better education elsewhere. Class and year sizes help; 1 - individuals got more attention, 2 - excellent pastoral care, 3 - more chance to stand out in a year of 60 pupils, 4 - smaller class sizes related to better discussion and debate, and people were easier to control. Apart from that, I was quite anxious whilst at school, and left it way less mature and independent that I believe I would've been at a state school. The school was also full of arrogant knobs, but I am quite lax in my attitude and am still good friends with some you lot would label cronuts.
And now you're on your gap yah in Honduras <roll>
Well, kinda after my 2nd year of uni. But yeah, half of the money was earned by myself, half was earned through parents.

TBWBlog
Tindall's Hoody

Post by TBWBlog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:56 pm

State School.

Best days of my life!!

Devlin
Wood's Touch

Post by Devlin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 am

I want to forget this time

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Went to a grammar school in Kent. Benefitted from a top class education and am a supporter of grammar schools to this day.