Racists 1 - Players 0?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Racists 1 - Players 0?

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am

Our favourite Frenchman, Michel Platini announced that any player who opts to walk away from the pitch during Euro 2012 in response to racist chants or behaviour from the crowd would be booked.

This was backed up by his insistence that the player wasn’t in charge of referreing a game and the ref was now able to end a game if racist abuse was in evidence.

This, in Platini’s mind is the best way for football to combat racism and protect the game.

Is this fair on the players though?

As an example, we’ve seen what some nations constitute as normal everyday behaviour thanks to the Suarez affair. In Uruguay it’s OK to use the phrase ‘negro’ when talking to a black person whilst in the UK we were up in arms about its use and the conations.

Did anyone else see how the media in mainland Europe reacted? To many it wasn’t really racist at all and the whole affair was a storm in a teacup.

This brings me to how a referee from one nation will react to what a player of another nation may deem abuse of a racist nature.

Is the definition of racism based on the officials understanding only? Are there universal UEFA guidelines that the refs have to take into account?

If a player believes he’s the recipient of racist abuse then he’ll clearly inform the ref but if the ref just brushes it off and says to continue with play, I’d deem the player is well within their rights to leave the field of play. No-one should be forced to continue play whilst abuse and hatred is showered on them from sections of the crowd.

If the definition of racism is at the discretion of the ref, has UEFA got this decision right or is it once again a knee jerk reaction from the official body to placate the masses and cover the asses of UEFA who were aware of the issues in the host nations.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Re: Racists 1 - Players 0?

Post by beatski » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:51 am

blog it <ok>

Minty Fresh
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Minty Fresh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:54 am

Booking players for walking off is a ridiculous idea IMO. If a player feels so strongly about the abuse they're getting that they'll walk off the pitch then I don't see how a yellow card is going to deter them.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:54 am

Well it's just like if someone runs onto the pitch and hits a player and he hits back, he'd get sent off, banned, fined etc.
Kindly deeds done for free!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:57 am

Beatski wrote:blog it <ok>
Done.

Pardew's Legendary Specs
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Pardew's Legendary Specs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:58 am

surely them going down to 10 players as the player has walked off is punishment anyway, the manager then needs to sub.
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Isn't the captain of the country he comes from just had a racial attack this year? What a wise guy

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:06 pm

In what other field of work (and they are at work) would en employee be expected to work while being racially abused and wait for a colleague/superior to sort it out later?
None, if you stopped your job because of the abuse, because you felt threatened, you would not be sanctioned. So why is this ok in football.
If players want to walk off let them, it is a restrained response, getting yourself away from the situation. We all know Balotelli has a temper, if his rage is rising then it makes sense for him walk away to avoid confrontation.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Chip Chipperson
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Chip Chipperson » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:06 pm

If a player was being racially abused i'd expect the whole team to walk off. Booking a player because he has decided to leave the field is ridiculous.
"How dare you. How dare you! Don't ever, ever call me a bully. I'm so much worse than that." - Malcolm Tucker

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 pm

I just don't see how any of these changes from UEFA are battling racism or even protecting the game from it. If anything its just a veiled threat that isn't even actionable.

You can look at it and say "At least UEFA are aware and have some plan of action should a scenario like this occur" but would a ref really call off a game to be played at a later date? If he does call it off, is the game replayed behind closed doors?

The finite time scales to complete the competition pretty much render this 'calling off' option null and void.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Completely ridiculous, if a player wants to walk off and leave his team down to ten men that's his choice.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:24 pm

MissingTheLeazesEnd wrote:In what other field of work (and they are at work) would en employee be expected to work while being racially abused and wait for a colleague/superior to sort it out later?
This isn't some little man in an office cubicle though. If a player stops, the game stops, and thousands of fans and millions of spectators across the world also have to stop. I think it takes on another level of responsibility.

I wouldn't expect a player to just deal with racism over the course of a game. Not at all. However, I'd expect him to first approach the ref to see what will be done about it there and then instead of just walking off and leaving everyone in the lurch.

I think that's what this whole booking thing is trying to prevent most of all. I don't think it's a watertight idea at all, but it just deters people from disappearing instead of going to the ref, as UEFA must believe that the referees will deal with it there and then.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

5 Goals - Hesakmi
Prediction League Champion

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Chappaz wrote:
MissingTheLeazesEnd wrote:In what other field of work (and they are at work) would en employee be expected to work while being racially abused and wait for a colleague/superior to sort it out later?
This isn't some little man in an office cubicle though. If a player stops, the game stops, and thousands of fans and millions of spectators across the world also have to stop. I think it takes on another level of responsibility.

I wouldn't expect a player to just deal with racism over the course of a game. Not at all. However, I'd expect him to first approach the ref to see what will be done about it there and then instead of just walking off and leaving everyone in the lurch.

I think that's what this whole booking thing is trying to prevent most of all. I don't think it's a watertight idea at all, but it just deters people from disappearing instead of going to the ref, as UEFA must believe that the referees will deal with it there and then.
This <ok>
Ryan Taylor Over The Wall , Ryan Taylor Over The Wall!
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm

The game doesn't stop if a player walks off. <facepalm>

5 Goals - Hesakmi

Post by 5 Goals - Hesakmi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:The game doesn't stop if a player walks off. <facepalm>
It wouldn't stop full stop but there will be some confusion and surely a stoppage for a certain period of time.

Can't imagine a player walking off without anyone stopping him and the manager making a substitution 5 seconds later.
Ryan Taylor Over The Wall , Ryan Taylor Over The Wall!
Ramone wrote:Papiss Cisse stick your dick in my arse because that was one of the most erection inspiring strikes I have ever seen.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

It is a f***ing joke that this is such an issue at the European Championships. <facepalm>

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Mifune wrote:It is a f***ing joke that this is such an issue at the European Championships. <facepalm>
Exactly why should a player be booked because FIFA are corrupt kernts and accept bribes as a way of deciding who gets the championships etc.
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:44 pm

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:The game doesn't stop if a player walks off. <facepalm>
Of course it does. There's no way the referee, the opposition and, most importantly, the 10 remaining players and their manager will just continue on like nothings happened in a massively important tournament game.

I think it's simply a way to nudge the players towards speaking to the referee instead of just vanishing off the pitch and causing a load of hassle. UEFA therefore appear to seem very confident that the referee will tackle the racism properly. There are a lot of views here seemingly based on the assumption that the referees might wave play on, which is unfounded until proven otherwise.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Chappaz wrote:
Of course it does. There's no way the referee, the opposition and, most importantly, the 10 remaining players and their manager will just continue on like nothings happened in a massively important tournament game.

I think it's simply a way to nudge the players towards speaking to the referee instead of just vanishing off the pitch and causing a load of hassle. UEFA therefore appear to seem very confident that the referee will tackle the racism properly. There are a lot of views here seemingly based on the assumption that the referees might wave play on, which is unfounded until proven otherwise.
My concerns are on how the definition of racism is perceived by the ref.

Is it his own judgement call based on his own interpretation or belief of what constitutes racism or have UEFA stipulated a set of guidelines.

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Chappaz wrote:
You make it sound like he's run off to commit suicide. If one player goes off the pitch the match will not be called off, you need half the team to go for an abandonment. If one player walking off could halt a game you'd get players going off left, right and centre whenever they're losing a a game, claiming someone abused them while they were taking a corner or something.