Does God Exist?

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Does God Exist?

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 am

He has many names but I reckon God is just an alien species!
Originally Posted by Somebodys pinched my sombrero......
Later in the interview, Santon confirmed that, indeed, he has never seen a mackem in Milan

nufc4life wrote:
They do have there own BRAND as I put it ha ah ha , let's put it this way I didn't lick her gash just emptied my sack and made my excuses ha ha

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Does God Exist?

Post by skalpel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 am

No god that was ever imagined or written about by man exists, that is certain. There has certainly never been any divine intervention in anything and there's no reason to say there ever would be so I say there is no God so far as I know, but I couldn't rule out the remote possibility that some weird 4 dimensional flying spaghetti monster burped out the big bang.

Short version: No.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 am

Quite plausible, around the time the apparent bible was written, they wouldn't have known what lay beyond the sky, so they would have saw a far more intelligent being as a God. To make out he's this omniscient being is ridiculous though.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 am

I think he's just really tall. And dead fast. And geet old.

And with a big white beard.

Like Santa but naked, and a bit more of a vindictive bastard.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:09 am

No. Quote from the show ''The Pacific'' sums it up best.

''PFC Robert Leckie: [in Leckie's 'library,' he sees Sledge picking up a Bible and chuckles] Now that explains it. You're a believer.
Eugene B. Sledge: Yes.
PFC Robert Leckie: OK, question: God created everything, right? The heavens, seven seas, Marine Corps...
[gestures to the sleeping Runner]
PFC Robert Leckie: Sleeping Beauty there...
Eugene B. Sledge: [chuckles] Even him.
PFC Robert Leckie: Land crabs, rats, mosquitoes...
Eugene B. Sledge: Mosquito's a little tough to understand, I guess.
PFC Robert Leckie: God created Japs too, right?
[Eugene's smile fades]
PFC Robert Leckie: Yellow slants who've tried to kill me on many occasions. Japs come from the garden of Eden too?
Eugene B. Sledge: Well, what we do is up to us. He gives us a choice.
PFC Robert Leckie: Free will, right. 'Cept he's God, of course, so he knows what we're gonna do before we do it.
Eugene B. Sledge: Predestination.
PFC Robert Leckie: So the whole game is fixed by the will of Gramps on his throne while we're down here for what? His entertainment? That makes us chumps, or God's a sadist and either way, I got no use for him.
Eugene B. Sledge: So what do you believe in?
PFC Robert Leckie: I believe in ammunition.
[Eugene chuckles]
PFC Robert Leckie: Tell you what, though - since I'm not on speaking terms anymore, next time you're havin' a chat with the old geezer, can you ask him to sink a few Jap transports and have 'em all fall on their bayonets so I can get the f*** out of here and go home? Sure would appreciate it.
[Eugene turns to leave and puts the Bible back]
PFC Robert Leckie: You go ahead and keep it. Don't know what I have it in the first place.
Eugene B. Sledge: No thanks.
[goes to the mouth of the tent]
Eugene B. Sledge: Got my own.''

Canny long but whatever <ok>

ToonSi
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by ToonSi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:35 am

Anyone who is a believer of the Jewish religions (Judaism, Christianity & Islam) should probably read the epic of Gilgamesh & other Sumerian literature (alongside some Ancient Greek literature thrown in for good measure). They all seem to have similar Creation stories (especially the Epic of Gilgamesh) to the Bible and have worldwide flood stories as well.

Also not sure where I found it, but I was reading about a hypothesis in psychology called Bicameralism, which argues that the human brain once assumed a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys—a bicameral mind, which could explain religion and schizophrenia in a heartbeat (although it is a much disputed hypothesis and hasn't been backed up by facts)!
“Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives... and to the "good life", whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.”

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am

ToonSi wrote:Anyone who is a believer of the Jewish religions (Judaism, Christianity & Islam) should probably read the epic of Gilgamesh & other Sumerian literature (alongside some Ancient Greek literature thrown in for good measure). They all seem to have similar Creation stories (especially the Epic of Gilgamesh) to the Bible and have worldwide flood stories as well.

Also not sure where I found it, but I was reading about a hypothesis in psychology called Bicameralism, which argues that the human brain once assumed a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys—a bicameral mind, which could explain religion and schizophrenia in a heartbeat (although it is a much disputed hypothesis and hasn't been backed up by facts)!
Your first point is spot on. I know somebody who is a fundamentalist Christian who I introduced to ancient Mesopotamian literature like Gilgamesh. Unfortunately had no effect on their thoughts on the matter, but then neither have any of the other proofs I've passed in their direction.

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:27 pm

I think that Jesus was probably a traveller from another dimension just like the Atlanteans and the Ancient Mayans as they all spoke of a bearded guy..
Later in the interview, Santon confirmed that, indeed, he has never seen a mackem in Milan

nufc4life wrote:
They do have there own BRAND as I put it ha ah ha , let's put it this way I didn't lick her gash just emptied my sack and made my excuses ha ha

Hatem Is A Geordie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hatem Is A Geordie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm

No. There's my thoughtful insight to today's discussion.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Does he exist?

Hard to say. The creation of 'God' to me emanated from the unknown. How was this made? No one knows! It must have been made by a 'supreme being'. That concept of at least nullifying the unknown and making it less frightening eventually became the basis of a belief system.

Bad things are happening (earthquakes, floods, volcanos that are beyond human comprehension at that time) means that the 'God' is not pleased and we must change our ways or at least make offereings to placate 'God'.

Gradually it evolves and evolves into a doctrine of how to live your life with self sacrifices (tithes, fasting etc) to placate your 'God'.

Now, with a far better understanding of the mechanics of the universe; 'God' could perhaps be downgraded but having a belief in 'God' still fulfills a role in modern society and that's providing a ray of hope to billions when all is going against them. It's the last vestige of protection and it's something that brings people together and unites them with a common bond that otherwise wouldn't have existed.

Does 'God' exist?

To those who need reassurance against the unknown and liffe's trials and tribulations; yes he does.

cbrad NUFC
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by cbrad NUFC » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 pm

That is a million dollar pound question, thought about it a few times and came to the conclusion he probably does, though it is far too difficult to come with an argument that people will disagree with, whether you believe or not.

Whitchester Mag
Papiss Demba Cisse: My Own Personal Santa Claus
Papiss Demba Cisse: My Own Personal Santa Claus

Post by Whitchester Mag » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Yes - God is your conscience.

But the Christianty's God? The omniscient God of everything?

No.
Twitter: @spenceh95

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:04 pm

cbrad wrote:That is a million dollar pound question, thought about it a few times and came to the conclusion he probably does, though it is far too difficult to come with an argument that people will disagree with, whether you believe or not.
Good to see you over here mate.

nufc4life wrote:

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 pm

God in the sense of a creator? Possibly.
God in the sense of an omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent being? No.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:51 pm

No, he's just a myth.

Albert's Chip Shop
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Albert's Chip Shop » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 pm

TJR_NUFC wrote:No, he's just a myth.
How did you get that. Twitter icon TJR?

nufc4life wrote:

Hatem Is A Geordie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hatem Is A Geordie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Albert's Chip Shop wrote:
TJR_NUFC wrote:No, he's just a myth.
How did you get that. Twitter icon TJR?
Add your twitter link

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Added Twitter where it asked for my websites <ok>

Le wilde un
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Le wilde un » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Whitchester Mag wrote:Yes - God is your conscience.

But the Christianty's God? The omniscient God of everything?

No.
This.

Also, God is dead. Work that one out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2jP9OMVI8

"Everybody does have a book in them, but in most cases that's where it should stay."

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:49 pm

While I don't believe God exists, the thing that really annoys me is the untouchable status of religion within society.