Re: Is Shola Ameobi done?

Post by Yacob » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Shola to replace Pards? <awe>

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:40 pm

That hip injury made him worse without doubt. Not that he was that good beforehand.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:25 pm

My opinion still hasn't changed, a really handy player to bring on late on. He's not very mobile, but he's an intelligent player who knows where he needs to be late on in games.

Few people seemingly forgetting he won us our last three points in ages.

TheJPF
Wood's Touch

Post by TheJPF » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Colly wrote:My opinion still hasn't changed, a really handy player to bring on late on. He's not very mobile, but he's an intelligent player who knows where he needs to be late on in games.

Very true, and a sexy finish it was too!

He's got the odd bit of quality which really resonates with "what might have been?", a hopeful last-resort at his best for me, but having to start him in games is an utterly suitable summary of the current crisis... Injury crisis, and crisis of confidence of the manager with regards to his other players.

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Squad player. We need him to stay at Newcastle, but only plays against Sunderland

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by tomtom94 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 pm

I believe that Shola is a good player who is being managed poorly.

Major issue of work ethic has not been dealt with.
History wrought with disease for so long, a nation sleeps tight... the poison carries on!

this space reserved for particularly amusing quotes and/or images.

With friends like these, who needs herpes?

TheJPF
Wood's Touch

Post by TheJPF » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:45 pm

tomtom94 wrote:I believe that Shola is a good player who is being managed poorly.

Major issue of work ethic has not been dealt with.
Maybe, maybe not... Shola does a different(/lazy) warm-up to the rest of the players. He sits on his arse and stretches. To me that says he's either sooooooooooo bone-idle he doesn't give a feck about anything but his hats and the manager (and past managers) doesn't care, or that he's so broken and used now he physically can't do it anymore...

I tend to believe the latter, purely because that makes the most sense. He used to have a fair burst of pace as a youngster, and was fairly mobile, now he just wanders into the path of incoming football-bombs, and hopes it bounces off his torso in the direction of our players. If he's just lazy, I don't see the manager (and previous managers) keeping him around.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Is shoal Ameobi done?

He's been done since 1999. One of the worst centre
Forwards to ever play for the club (and there's been a few). Seems to be
Popular up here tho as he scores against the mackems. I've never rated him. Granted he has scored
the occasional important goal but how he has survived 11 managers(guess) is beyond me.

He seems like a good guy but his lack of effort today(and in general) is/was staggering.

The Shola lovers will think this is harsh but it's true.

As for Sammy, don't get me started!!!
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Colly wrote:My opinion still hasn't changed, a really handy player to bring on late on. He's not very mobile, but he's an intelligent player who knows where he needs to be late on in games.

This he can use his intelligence, hold-up play and experience to see us close games but at the same time it's amazing he's lasted so long at Newcastle with his lack of goalscoring ability, injury record and lack of effort at times but he's always someone to have right now because of the record he has against the Mackem and his experience is key to the squad but as shown when we got relegated he found his level in the Championship. He simply isn't good enough for the Premier League, as a sub he can be useful but as a starter no way even in his prime (05-06 season he scored 9 goals in 30 apps in the Prem) he wasn't that great, but he's been a loyal servant and is always good to have around the squad with his professionalism and attitude.

Minty Fresh
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Minty Fresh » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 pm

People are so fickle when it comes to Shola. <disgrace>

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 pm

I don't hate Shola, I hate that Pardew seems to rate him as worthy of starting games for us. He just plain cannot play a full game, and is most effective coming on at the end.

f***ing Pardew and his ridiculous decision making <neg>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:04 am

This. He is a very useful player to have but he doesn't have the legs to start games and he should never start games. He's great to have on the bench though.

rabit71
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by rabit71 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 am

rabit71 wrote:goals quite simply aren't his game, judging him on goals is like judging tiote on shots on target, or dynamic runs into the box.

his usefulness is based around his ability to slow down play, keep the ball in benign areas and win us freekicks to wind down the clock. all this from the bench of course.

interestingly, he has also developed his ability to provide assists
i stand by this
I don't always reply to a thread, but when i do, they usually die within the next 5 posts

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 am

rabit71 wrote:
rabit71 wrote:goals quite simply aren't his game, judging him on goals is like judging tiote on shots on target, or dynamic runs into the box.

his usefulness is based around his ability to slow down play, keep the ball in benign areas and win us freekicks to wind down the clock. all this from the bench of course.

interestingly, he has also developed his ability to provide assists
i stand by this

Tremendous qualities for a toon centre forward eh !!
The fact is he's simply not good enough . People are unbelievably blinkered
on here because they see him as an adopted Geordie.
He should of been sold about 10 years ago.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 am

Toondes wrote:
rabit71 wrote:
i stand by this

Tremendous qualities for a toon centre forward eh !!
The fact is he's simply not good enough . People are unbelievably blinkered
on here because they see him as an adopted Geordie.
He should of been sold about 10 years ago.
Well, yes they can be tremendous qualities when they're what we need and they're played to. Not when he's played as the spearhead of a 4-3-3 and expected to be what he isn't.

hoofball
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by hoofball » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 am

I think he's crap, always has been crap, and always will be. I cannot fathom how he's played as many games as he has.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 pm

For all of his qualities, the primary responsibility of a target man centre forward is to score goals, and based on that Shola would go down as one of the worst to grace the Premier League with a PL record of slightly worse than 1 goal every 6 games.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

rabit71
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by rabit71 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Chappaz wrote:For all of his qualities, the primary responsibility of a target man centre forward is to score goals, and based on that Shola would go down as one of the worst to grace the Premier League with a PL record of slightly worse than 1 goal every 6 games.
if he were a "target man centre forward" you'd be right. he's not

i can't really be arsed to go over this with you again so consider this to be the end of it:

something something goldfish climbing trees blah blah etc
I don't always reply to a thread, but when i do, they usually die within the next 5 posts

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Shola has been amazing Championship standard for ages. Shame then we are in EPL.
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 pm

rabit71 wrote:
Chappaz wrote:For all of his qualities, the primary responsibility of a target man centre forward is to score goals, and based on that Shola would go down as one of the worst to grace the Premier League with a PL record of slightly worse than 1 goal every 6 games.
if he were a "target man centre forward" you'd be right. he's not

i can't really be arsed to go over this with you again so consider this to be the end of it:

something something goldfish climbing trees blah blah etc
Of course he is. The team plays hoofball to him, he attempts to bring the ball down and attempts to score. Route one target man football. He's a big 6'3 traditional centre forward who can work on his own or with another striker.

The only time that doesn't happen is when he's brought on for a specific duty, for example in the last few minutes to retain the ball and count down the clock.

It's not like he provides a lot of assists as the assister in a strike partnership. He's had many seasons only supplying 1, 2 or none at all, so if he isn't a target man type striker then what the hell is he?
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~