Newcastle Utd 0 - 1 Arsenal - 29/12/13

Minty Fresh
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Newcastle Utd 0 - 1 Arsenal - 29/12/13

Post by Minty Fresh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Match Preview

Newcastle United welcome Arsenal to St James' Park tomorrow, a year to the day after shipping seven goals in the reverse fixture of the 2012/13 season. Both sides have seen an upturn in fortunes since that encounter; Newcastle are once again looking for a place in Europe after a season of struggling against relegation, whilst Arsenal have developed into serious contenders for the Premier League title.

Although the general consensus is that Arsenal are favourites for this match, the form table suggests otherwise. Newcastle sit in second place behind Manchester City, having only dropped four points in the last six games. Meanwhile Arsenal have fallen to 6th. Despite securing convincing victories against Hull, Cardiff and West Ham, they've had some trouble with those higher up the table, picking up just 2 points from games with Everton, Man City and Chelsea.

Alan Pardew has one major selection headache coming into this match, with Cheick Tiote returning from a one match ban. Despite winning comfortably last match against Stoke, Newcastle looked disinterested and disjointed up until a mad five minute period in which the away side had two men sent off. The defence were clearly more exposed in the absence of Tiote, and Moussa Sissoko struggled to have any positive impact on the game after moving back into a central midfield role. It seems like a no-brainer for the Ivorian, who is currently the highest performer in the ToonForum Index, to return to the starting eleven. However, the decision over who loses their place will be a bit more problematic for Pardew. Sissoko and Ben Arfa are the most likely candidates to make way despite both of them having recently put in excellent performances on the right wing.

One player who particularly stood out in last years ten goal thriller was Theo Walcott, who got three goals and two assists. Walcott has an exceptional scoring record against Newcastle, so his return to fitness and form will be a worry for Pardew. A return to top form for left-back Davide Santon would be extremely timely as this may well be the toughest challenge he has faced this season.

This Arsenal side are probably the best team to visit St James' Park this season, but Newcastle haven't lost at home since mid September and have proved that they're capable of outplaying even the top sides on their day. With the partnership of Coloccini and Williamson looking as strong as ever and Yoan Gouffran on a hot streak the hosts will go into this believing they've got a good chance of getting at least a point. Even if they end up 4-0 down at half-time, there may still be a glimmer of hope...

My prediction: 2-2

Team News

NUFC: No fresh injury problems and Cheick Tiote is available again after suspension. Moussa Sissoko remains one yellow card away from a one game ban.

Possible line up:
. <krul>
<debuchy> <willo> <colo> <santon>
<tiote> <anita>
<sissoko> <cabaye> <gouff>
<remy>
AFC: Jack Wilshere is available again following suspension but Laurent Koscielny is a doubt and Aaron Ramsey will miss out with a thigh injury.

Possible line up:
Szczesny
Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs
Flamini - Arteta
Walcott - Özil - Wilshere
Podolski
Pre Match Comments
Alan Pardew wrote:I'd like to think that we'll run them close and if we can beat them then we'll have to seriously look at our aspirations for the year because we've obviously beaten some good teams leading up to this. Arsenal have been the best team this season, I don't think anyone will argue with that. It will certainly tell us a lot about how good we are if we can beat them, especially after the result against Stoke. They had a terrific result against West Ham and if you can beat one of the top teams like Arsenal, it's really going to put us in good shape at the top of the league. It would tick a big box for us, but having said that, if we lose the game, that wouldn't dampen our aspirations either. I'd like to think the game is going to be an even one, but they are the type of team that can unravel you. We need to be on our guard about that, but we will also going out there trying to make sure we win the game.
Arsene Wenger wrote:Newcastle are in full confidence, they are doing well and won again on Boxing Day with a big score. Loic Remy is a very good striker, very quick and makes very good runs, so we have to keep him quiet. That will all be another test, but our team wants to do well, the character is great and our concentration is top. We have a very short time to prepare, but maybe we can rotate a little bit as well. I rested (Santi) Cazorla for a few games and you could see against West Ham he had an outstanding game and what a difference that makes when the player is fresh. Obviously it will be a tough game, but Newcastle will always give you a good match. It will be very interesting, I love these kind of games, so I am very much looking forward to playing them.
Facts and Stats

- Newcastle have conceded a total of 14 goals in their last five Premier League games against Arsenal.
- Arsenal have lost only one of their last 17 final games of the year (0-1 to Sheffield United in 2006).
- Arsenal have won the most Premier League points in 2013, and their current 79 point tally in the year cannot be surpassed by any other side.
- Yoan Gouffran has scored in 5 consecutive games at St James' Park.
- Arsenal have lost just one of their last 12 Barclays Premier League games at St James Park.
- Newcastle have scored first in their last three matches against top-six teams.

Coverage

Television coverage begins at 12:30pm on Sky Sports 1. Radio commentary will be provided by BBC Newcastle and talkSPORT.

<badger> ENJOY THE GAME! <badger>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Re: Newcastle United vs Arsenal - Match Preview

Post by Ramone » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Unfortunately we're going to lose. Sorry lads.
REQUIEM

Ibra
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Ibra » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:16 pm

2-0 to them.

LONDONTOON
where so bias
where so bias

Post by LONDONTOON » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 pm

I have faith, 3-2 to us.

First time I'm betting on the Toon; howay lads beat the filth of London

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Arsenal 2-1.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Im hopeful for a draw

Minty Fresh
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Minty Fresh » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:44 pm

I only wrote an optimistic preview as it worked against Man U. We'll lose really. :bandit:

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Henry Hoover » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:44 pm

4-2 to Arsenal

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Too many of my friends are Arsenal fans for us to win.
Wilshere will probably score since he's a cronut and f***ing Bendtner
Don't hinder the Trinder

The Rock Lobster
Is Shit
Is Shit

Post by The Rock Lobster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:55 pm

my first game of the season <divax> can't wait.
" Samaras is a special player." - A. Iniesta

Ibra
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Ibra » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:58 pm

The Rock Lobster wrote:my first game of the season <divax> can't wait.
definitely gonna lose now then.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:01 pm

We're playing well - its been a long time since we were in as good a position with an actual chance of beating teams at the top of the league. BELIEVE! or at least HOPE!

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 pm

draw and I'll be happy.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:12 pm

The Ballad of Vurnon Anita wrote:draw and I'll be happy.
<ok>
In all honesty I'd be pleased with a hard fought loss
Don't hinder the Trinder

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Good preview, would be very happy with a 2-2, but I don't see us coming out of this with anything, especially with Walcott and Podolski back in business.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:00 pm

MultipleJesuses wrote:
The Ballad of Vurnon Anita wrote:draw and I'll be happy.
<ok>
In all honesty I'd be pleased with a hard fought loss
This <ok>

Cheik the room
Banned
Banned

Post by Cheik the room » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Almost certain to lose, although only 1 defeat at SJP this year gives me hope.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:22 pm

0-0 would do me.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:26 pm

they will make it 3 losses at St James' this year

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:07 pm

My gut says Arsenal win, but my head says 4-2 to us. Our next home game is Man City. We're probably going to be top of the league by the end of January...