A change in coaching staff is now just as important

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

A change in coaching staff is now just as important

Post by TommyToon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:44 am

So I'm going to preface this by saying that Pardew needed to go and I'm very glad he did. However, that change won't mean anything unless the coaching staff are changed too in my opinion.

I went back and quickly rewatched elements of yesterday's game, focusing mainly on the first half as I feel that will show how the coaching staff set us up to play. Subs etc in the second half always break the flow of the game up and make it much harder to identify a gameplan. We were so static as an attacking unit that it actually shocked me how many times the camera would zoom in, then pan back out and the players were within the same 3 yard area making it nice and easy to be marked.

I've picked out 3 snapshots that underline exactly what I think is wrong and why I think our coaches are out of their depth with this group of players and why the formation of 4231 doesn't seem to be working (although I actually think it's perfectly suited to us). It's all to do with lack of movement and lack of runners going past Perez... It's no coincidence that one of the few times in the game an attacking midfielder ran past Perez was when we scored.

Here I've circled our front 4. Cabella on the ball with Perez giving him an option up the line. Nothing wrong with that, good movement and it pulls away the centre back creating a nice hole in their defense for a midfield runner to exploit. So far so good... Except there isn't a midfield runner. At the bottom of the screen you can see Gouff jogging along, very rigidly sticking to his left hand third of the pitch but more worryingly you can see Sissoko standing there pointing backwards.

There is so much space between Gouff/Sissoko and Perez that we aren't exploiting.

I was intending on circling our front 4 again this time but as you can see, only 3 are visible. I don't know if the time at the top left is too clear but this second image is over 20 seconds after the first one; but look at where our attacking players are. Still within 5 yards of where they were in the last screenshot; so much so that Sissoko isn't even in the shot.

Perez has again made a good run, drawing a CB out of position but there is no willingness for anyone else to run past that and make the defenders turn. Cabella's first instinct is to make himself available as a short backwards pass but that's what Colback, Anita and Janmaat are there for! He's got to be bursting a lung to get into that space, drawing a midfielder with him and creating space for one of the defensive midfielders if Perez does need to go backwards. I'm not absolving Colback or Anita of blame here either! If they can see Sissoko is walking on the halfway line he's effectively covering for them so one of them can go and join the attack but there's such a rigid mentality to not move away from their position that it barely crosses their minds.

I'm not going to say too much about this one but if you were Cabella on the ball with 2 defenders in front of you and you look up to see Sissoko wandering around on the far side of the pitch and Gouff jogging up in a straight line, leaving Perez to be marked by 2 big CBs then what are your options? Janmaat or Colback basically.

What these still shots don't show is the lack of movement when either of our CBs have the ball. We're too quick to blame the defenders for playing the long ball to Perez but I guarantee you that's the only option they have aside from just passing it between themselves.

As i said, the few times we did get runners going beyond Perez we looked dangerous but that was all too infrequent. Our players are capable of doing it (Cabella scored loads last season; Sissoko is one of the most explosive players in the league on his day; and Gouff had a great run at the beginning of last season where he scored in something like 5 home games in a row) so to me it looks like the mentality of the coaching staff is to stick to your area of the pitch and make sure you don't lose the ball... that's not playing to the strengths of our attacking players and it shows with performances like yesterday.
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

steviemac14
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: A change in coaching staff is now just as important

Post by steviemac14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:48 am

Did you create this on the tactics truck? Some good points to be fair.
"I think I was eating a pie at the time."

J. Carver

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:53 am

steviemac14 wrote:Did you create this on the tactics truck? Some good points to be fair.
Haha apparently this is how productive I can be when I'm not hungover and still in bed on Sunday mornings!
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:00 am

Ive said before about our lack of movement, its shocking and is at fault for a lot of things, we must be the only team in the world that work off some f***ed up zonal attacking system. on set pieces we aim for willo so he can guide it to a player rather than havethe players attacking the ball. we have a stupid philosophy of waiting for the ball to come to our players rather than them pro actively making themselves available. i remember when Cisse first started to go off form, he was making great runs still that would open up the pitch for midfield runners, did anyone ever make a run, nope.

we have had great players with intelligence and vision through these times and its always the same s*** occurring, and its the coaching and tactical set up that is to blame.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Good post is good. Completely agree. We've scored so many counter attacks/ Perez wonder goals simply because they are the only attacks that don't require midfield runners. It makes players like Cisse look worse cos he's so isolated. A clever new coach will use De Jong or Cabella nearer the striker.

Also, our defensive coaching is more offensively bad than our offensive coaching
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Puts the SkyPad to shame <awe>
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Yeah this is spot on.

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:Good post is good. Completely agree. We've scored so many counter attacks/ Perez wonder goals simply because they are the only attacks that don't require midfield runners. It makes players like Cisse look worse cos he's so isolated. A clever new coach will use De Jong or Cabella nearer the striker.

Also, our defensive coaching is more offensively bad than our offensive coaching
Yeah I couldn't even bring myself to look at our defensive side of things...

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Cabella and Perez are the only attacking players who seem to have a clue about movement when they're off the ball, Gouffran and Sissoko just wander around.
REQUIEM

Minty Fresh
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Minty Fresh » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Good post, love stuff like this. <ok> It's been a problem ever since Pardew took over, even during our good spells we've been painfully rigid up front and relied too much on individual magic.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:22 pm

great post <applause>

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 pm

TommyToon for manager
With so much movement, it makes you wonder why HBA so often chose to be "greedy" and try to run through players instead of pass

Minty Fresh
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Minty Fresh » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:39 am

Pull the Arfa One wrote:TommyToon for manager
With so much movement, it makes you wonder why HBA so often chose to be "greedy" and try to run through players instead of pass
Even though he was just as culpable as anyone else...

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:13 am

Pull the Arfa One wrote:TommyToon for manager
I accept! But only if OT (5318008) can be my PR guy... can you imagine the press releases <awe>

BillBow

Post by BillBow » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:59 pm

Beatski wrote:great post <applause>
Got to second that, can remember our Mr Carver training at NUFC School of Excellence not to long ago, he had the young players who wanted to show there Skill and Ability hoofing the ball up the field ALL DAY ! Sad Sad to think he could be our next to be in-charge------------