Has McClaren Got Full Control of The Dressing Room?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Has McClaren Got Full Control of The Dressing Room?

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:38 am

A number of issues have cropped up that has made me wonder this. Firstly, you look at our squad, we currently have three key players who have made it known recently their eyes are set elsewhere.

Moussa Sissoko - every interview the man gives, he spouts about wanting to be playing CL football, despite his performances by and large being closer to Championship standard than Champions League.

Papiss Cisse - I think it's clear to all and sundry that he isn't happy. Reports he's been late for training, missed meetings with the management etc. His performances have been lethargic to say the least.

Fabricio Coloccini - signed a new deal in the summer but spent most of it being linked with Palace. Hasn't looked settled here in almost three years yet has unbelievably retained the armband despite declining performances and a lack of leadership ability.

Yet they all seem undroppable. Coloccini understandably has to play given our lack of options at CB, yet Sissoko and Cisse somehow retained their places yesterday despite putting in appalling performances against West Ham.

Then, our disciplinary record has been abysmal. Yesterday apparently several players just ignored McClaren when he asked them to go and applaud the fans. You look around at the players and you just don't see any belief or hunger in them, which is odd given McClaren is a new manager and you'd imagine they'd be eager to impress him.

You always hear that McClaren is a great coach but not a great manager, and I'm starting to wonder if that's exactly the right conclusion.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Re: Has McClaren Got Full Control of The Dressing Room?

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:04 pm

No. Couple that with the fact that most of our players are absolute garbage it's really not looking good.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:15 pm

No. As for Sissoko and Cissé, he was saying how he was going to make changes and all he did was change Anita, the better of the 2 holding midfielders and also the least outspoken for Ayoze. He talks a good game, but in reality I think he's scared of the backlash from certain players if they get dropped.

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Guarantee we will see a good performance from Sissoko v Chelsea, he'll probably feel they are his level and play better only to fade into obscurity in games against lesser teams.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:47 pm

I think part of it is down to selling the club as a 'springboard' in order to acquire players. How on earth are the players meant to care when the club itself is condoning them having eyes elsewhere? It's insane.

PFT

Post by PFT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:57 pm

I really wish we'd got shot of Cisse and Colo in the summer. I can't imagine we'd see such lazy performances if we had someone who actually cared running around up front, not to mention the apathetic arsehole at CB I am convinced the lack of belief in our squad is in part down to our club captain consistently wanting to leave and generally not caring.

hoofball
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by hoofball » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:59 pm

We've bought young, generally successful players, from successful clubs (abroad), and told them 'we'll make you a star'. Come to us, play every week, then you can move on to bigger premiership teams.

The problem is that our players have never really needed to give 100% week in, week out, ever. They're young and successful, and have had relatively meteoritic rises in their careers. They've never experienced the constant battle of the premiership, and still have the previous mindset that if they pass the ball a bit, the wins will surely come. Obviously this isn't true. Hence, when they go a goal down, they get royally huffed and throw the towel in.

Player's with less natural talent know that they get by on effort. Very skilful players often get by because they are often playing teams of significantly lower quality (most european leagues are nowhere near as competitive as the premiership). Obviously the best players have both; players like Cabaye and Debuchy understood that effort was key in the premiership and hence moved on. The current mob just don't.

I really think that we've bought turkeys again (MBemba excepted). They're players who, when the sun is shining and you're playing a much poorer team in france or belgium, you look like a world beater, but they're totally wrong for an, at best, mid table premiership team. Is Schteeve able to implement this mentality in the players? I suspect not.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:28 pm

While I think our whole scouting system and transfer policy is wrong, there's no way Mitrovic, Wijnaldum or Mbemba can be considered turkeys or poor signings yet. That's one of the stupidest things I've seen on here in a long time which is really saying something.
Don't hinder the Trinder

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Wijnaldum has shown far more than Mbemba already (understandably so given his age and pedigree), he's far from a turkey.

PFT

Post by PFT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Wijnaldum for me has shown he can be a success, he has the skill and has been showing the effort also. I tihnk Mbemba will also do well once he has fully got to grips with the tempo of the PL, it's a big jump up for him.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:50 pm

I think Krul, Mbemba, Wijnaldum and Mitrovic could be the spine of a great team. Just the other 6 (Janmaat can stay) to sort out, which I fear could be too big of a rebuilding job. Especially if the manager is being undermined at every turn by other players.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Colly wrote:Wijnaldum has shown far more than Mbemba already (understandably so given his age and pedigree), he's far from a turkey.
Did you mean to say Mbemba? Personally I think Mbemba's been easily the most impressive of our signings.
I dunno

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:56 pm

I think the issue lies with the spine of the team, and that's the 3 mentioned in the OP, I don't think the rest of the squad is an issue, just those seniors and I think it stems back to the Pardew era, I think he made a perfect breeding ground for player power and its one of the last remaining issues of the Pardew era.

We need to ship these players out IMO.

PFT

Post by PFT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:57 pm

Heisen wrote:I think Krul, Mbemba, Wijnaldum and Mitrovic could be the spine of a great team. Just the other 6 (Janmaat can stay) to sort out, which I fear could be too big of a rebuilding job. Especially if the manager is being undermined at every turn by other players.
We desperately need someone in CM that can control the game or at least attempt to, poor Jack Colback is woeful. His hearts in the right place he just isn't up to the job. Team must look at us and rub their hands together, they only have to go through Colback & Anita to then get at Colo who is awful.

cbrad NUFC
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by cbrad NUFC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Heisen wrote:I think part of it is down to selling the club as a 'springboard' in order to acquire players. How on earth are the players meant to care when the club itself is condoning them having eyes elsewhere? It's insane.
To be fair aren't most clubs like that, Swansea have bought players that they expect to move on. The difference is that these players go out and impress, as they know this will get them a move. Newcastle are picking players who aren't good enough or have the wrong attitude.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:I think the issue lies with the spine of the team, and that's the 3 mentioned in the OP, I don't think the rest of the squad is an issue, just those seniors and I think it stems back to the Pardew era, I think he made a perfect breeding ground for player power and its one of the last remaining issues of the Pardew era.

We need to ship these players out IMO.
I think Coloccini has a bizarre amount of power, even for a club captain. Personally, I don't believe McClaren even wanted him here, but I have a suspicion it was the powers that be demanded he stay. There is a common link somewhere between the rot that has set in pre-McClaren and now, and I have a feeling Coloccini is a large part of it.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:09 pm

cbrad NUFC wrote:
Heisen wrote:I think part of it is down to selling the club as a 'springboard' in order to acquire players. How on earth are the players meant to care when the club itself is condoning them having eyes elsewhere? It's insane.
To be fair aren't most clubs like that, Swansea have bought players that they expect to move on. The difference is that these players go out and impress, as they know this will get them a move. Newcastle are picking players who aren't good enough or have the wrong attitude.
Yeah you're right. I would imagine Swansea would sell it differently - improve the club, then you'll get your move. We probably just tell the player to stick in a few decent performances and they'll be off.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:13 pm

It will never happen but next weekend I would like to see
Krul

Janmaat Lascelles Mbemba Haidara

Anita Wijnaldum

Perez --- De Jong --- Aarons

Mitrovic

hoofball
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by hoofball » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:17 pm

MultipleJesuses wrote:While I think our whole scouting system and transfer policy is wrong, there's no way Mitrovic, Wijnaldum or Mbemba can be considered turkeys or poor signings yet. That's one of the stupidest things I've seen on here in a long time which is really saying something.
I didn't say Mbemba was a turkey, but Mitrovic is a walking hand grenade, Thauvin was voted in League 1's worst team of the season last year and was woeful yesterday, and I don't see anything to justify £14m on Winjnaldum yet.

PFT

Post by PFT » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:18 pm

hoofball wrote:
MultipleJesuses wrote:While I think our whole scouting system and transfer policy is wrong, there's no way Mitrovic, Wijnaldum or Mbemba can be considered turkeys or poor signings yet. That's one of the stupidest things I've seen on here in a long time which is really saying something.
I didn't say Mbemba was a turkey, but Mitrovic is a walking hand grenade, Thauvin was voted in League 1's worst team of the season last year and was woeful yesterday, and I don't see anything to justify £14m on Winjnaldum yet.
14m quid is the going rate to buy an attacking midfielder nowadays who has any hope of being any good. I am not too fussed with the price tag. He showed against Soton why he was voted Dutch Player of the Year last season.