Sunderland 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 25/10/15

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Sunderland 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 25/10/15

Post by Cal » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Sunday's noon kick-off sees McClaren lead his rejuvenated side to the Stadium of Light for his first Tyne-Wear derby, in what is perhaps the most important north-east derby in a long time.

Both teams are currently in the relegation zone after nine games; Sunderland prop up the table with just three points, Newcastle are slightly better off in 18th with six. We can escape the relegation zone with a win, taking us above Bournemouth (who play Spurs immediately after) and onto equal points with Norwich, but above them on goal difference.

From the 18 games played between the two sides, they have a combined record of one win, six draws, and eleven losses. That single win, and nearly a third of the goals scored, came in last week's trouncing of Norwich, as Newcastle finally decided to get their season under way... Hopefully.

"The derby is massive for the fans. There's a determination to win it for them but it's important we go into every game with the same amount of determination.

"We have to make sure we play the game and not the occasion.

"We don't pay attention to the table or previous results - what we do have is a fresh game and a great opportunity to come away with three points."

- Steve McClaren

As is fast becoming tradition, Sunderland have installed a new manager one match before the derby again; this time Sam Allardyce takes his turn with the mackems, becoming the first person to manage both sides of the divide. In his half-season at Newcastle, Allardyce presided over one Tyne-Wear derby; an away 1-1 draw coming eight years and a couple of weeks ago.

On top of any personal motivations and the desperate need to acquire points to prevent getting cut adrift already, there is another huge factor to this match. Sunderland have won the previous five derbies, equalling our best streak in the history of this fixture, one more win and they're setting a new record. Hopefully without Pardew or Carver involved we can actually get back to winning these things.

"It's quite bizarre to say that they Sunderland have won five on the trot, and telling me the last three managers' second game was against Newcastle and they had all lost the first one and won the second one.

"I'm just hoping that it continues to follow on this Sunday. It's got very little to do with me, it's down to fate the fact that this run carries on."

- Sam Allardyce

Team News
Rolando Aarons and Kevin Mbabu are back in contention, Gabriel Obertan is a week or two away, Karl Darlow and Steven Taylor are expected back in a month, while Tim Krul is out for the season. Emmanuel Rivière is a mystery. The mackem slayer is ineligible, but did score for Bolton on Saturday. Jack Colback is a yellow card away from a suspension, and Cheick Tioté is hopefully match fit.

As for Sunderland, Sebastián Coates and Jeremain Lens return from suspension, Jack Rodwell and Duncan Watmore are slight doubts, with Fabio Borini slightly more doubtful.

Predicted Line-up
<elliot>
<janmaat> <mbemba> <colo> <haidara>
<tiote> <colback>
<sissoko> <blank> <blank> <blank> <wij>
<perez> <mitrovic>
"I know they will try to provoke me but I will keep my head strong and try to score goals and help my teammates. It's a derby. I am only 21 but I have played in a lot of big derbies, big games, and I can say I know how to play these games and score goals in them. I hope I will continue with my goals and score in my first game against Sunderland."
- Aleksandar Mitrović

I expect McClaren to stick with the 4-4-2 and an unchanged line-up. The only potential area of contention will be the central midfield pairing, but I've gone with Tioté over Anita as I think his physical presence will be needed, and even if he underperformed in his half against Norwich it's notable that we lost control of the midfield battle for a significant period after he was subbed.

Prediction
The spirit of Shola will inhabit Mad Mitro as he bags a brace, our defensive frailty will let us down to even things up, but Gini will conjure some more magic and seal a win at long last. 2-3.

Where to Watch / Listen
The match is televised live on Sky Sports 1, with the main coverage starting at 11:30am. Local radio commentary, as always, is on BBC Newcastle.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Re: Preview: Sunderland vs Newcastle Utd - 25/10/15

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:22 pm

Allardyce getting his excuses in early. I don't think he'll need them though. However, I bet he does a dramatic u-turn and takes the credit when they win tomorrow.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Schteve McPardew

Post by Schteve McPardew » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:52 pm

"It's got very little to do with me, it's down to fate the fact that this run carries on."

If our manager said that I'd be f***ing livid.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:56 am

Schteve McPardew wrote:"It's got very little to do with me, it's down to fate the fact that this run carries on."

If our manager said that I'd be f***ing livid.
I read that as meaning he had nothing to do with the first 5 wins, so he wouldn't be able to take credit for most of the streak <scratch>
But maybe you're right and he meant that it'd be fate if they managed to win tomorrow.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 am

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/fo ... s-10324345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wish Carver would shut the f*** up. He's literally a PR nightmare and still manages to bring the club down even after he's left.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 am

Sunderland cannot score or defend, we cannot defend. 3-1 loss would be typical.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:06 am

Jaiston wrote:Sunderland cannot score or defend, we cannot defend. 3-1 loss would be typical.
Yeah I'm going for that scoreline too. We will attack but they will defend with their lives as they always do against us. They'll hit us on the break once and we'll just collapse as we always do against everyone!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:10 am

Just shows you how shocking a coach/manager he is, surely he had that same outlook on games when he was here, no wonder our players lack belief.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:29 am

Fleventy five - nil

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:32 am

Is it too early to start drinking?

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:40 am

Micky Quim wrote:Is it too early to start drinking?
Yes, far too early.

ScottishGeordie43
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by ScottishGeordie43 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:40 am

There is no such thing as early drinking on derby day..only drinking too late <diva>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:48 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Yes, far too early.
Spoil sport

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50 am

Micky Quim wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
Yes, far too early.
Spoil sport
Lunchtime is an acceptable time to start on a Sunday so you should have your first one at kickoff.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:52 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: Spoil sport
Lunchtime is an acceptable time to start on a Sunday so you should have your first one at kickoff.
Ok Dad

PTAO?

Re: Sunderland vs Newcastle Utd - 25/10/15

Post by PTAO? » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:55 am

Well considering the clocks changed, your body thinks its nearly noon now, so go for it.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:01 am

Unchanged team from last week.

Not surprised.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:02 am

Tiote though? Ffs
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:04 am

Tiote was terrible first half last week, made perfect sense to take him off for Anita. First ten minutes of the second half against Norwich we did get overrun a bit in midfield, but Anita is a better player in my eyes. Should have started.

Can see Tiote getting sent off.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

dls
Fur is Good
Fur is Good

Post by dls » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:05 am

Yeah, I would have had Anita in over Tiote. Tiote was big s**** last week.