Newcastle Utd 0 - 0 Stoke City - 31/10/15

LONDONTOON
where so bias
where so bias

Re: Newcastle Utd vs Stoke City - 31/10/15

Post by LONDONTOON » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:09 pm

Football is played over 38 games,seems like we got a good performance but the keeper played excellent.

We will do alright this season,the performances are paramount not the results. Our bad luck will even out over time

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:10 pm

Yet another "played well so it's really encouraging" match. We've had a few of those now, haven't won many of them though.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:12 pm

Almost any of the shots on target we had would have been good enough to win a game, the fact that not even one of them went in is just unlucky.
REQUIEM

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:14 pm

LONDONTOON wrote:Football is played over 38 games,seems like we got a good performance but the keeper played excellent.

We will do alright this season,the performances are paramount not the results. Our bad luck will even out over time
What?! Results are paramount. I'd rather see us play s**** and win 1-0 than play amazingly and come away with f*** all and get relegated.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:20 pm

Goat wrote:
Heisen wrote:
We created more than enough chances to win the game but there's very little you can do if the keeper is in as inspired form as that.
So what was the excuse through the first 45 minutes of the Sunderland game as well?

Yes we played well but there's a consistent pattern of struggling to score here. We've scored 12 in 11 games but 6 of those in one game, so 6 goals over the other 10 games.

Yes, Butland had an amazing game and we put in a good performance, but once again we've got nothing to show for it. We're really running out of time to start getting points on the table.

I suppose I'm not particularly annoyed with the team. Just the situation in general.
There isn't an excuse for the first 45 minutes against Sunderland, that was poor finishing. Today we were sticking them all over the goal in an attempt to beat Butland but he was unbeatable. Sometimes you just have to admit we were unlucky rather than s***, which was the case today. On another day we'd have won 4 or 5-0.

There's over 25 games left to get the points we need. Based on the last three weeks we will get the points and luck we need to stay up, I'm positive.

CheickyTiote
Miggy's Smiles

Post by CheickyTiote » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:13 am

First Pantilimon and now Butland will have made it into the TOTW for great goalkeeping performances against us. What are the chances that Boruc will follow suit next weekend given his current form?

Sidblank
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Sidblank » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:07 am

Just watched motd and to be honest there wasn't a hard save amongst them. Gotta make keepers work harder, but then again they say aslong as you make the keeper work. But personally I think our finishing has to improve. But I would be more concerned if we weren't making chances

fuzzfactor
Pope's Goalposts

Post by fuzzfactor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:30 am

Butland was just unreal yesterday. That's it. Forget the finishing! Mitrovic's header, Sisssoko's late shoot and Lascelles's header would have all been in on another day ; and I'm not even counting other dangerous shoots. That's just unlucky ! And those who want McLaren out I don't f***ing understand you : what can he actually do about the finishing and the keeper? Nothing.

Another good game by Newcastle, as someone said, we still have 25 games left, be optismist lads, for once that we have all the reasons to be.

Peace
Sorry for my english, I'm belgian. <gent>

Sidblank
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Sidblank » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:23 am

Looking at things this morning I'm very optimistic. I wasn't looking forward to playing Stoke and didn't think we would win. But we played really well and should have won. Keep these levels up and it will all come together in time. Other clubs have yet to hit sticky patches but most always do. A few more astute signings in Jan and I may be able to settle down and enjoy this season

fuzzfactor
Pope's Goalposts

Post by fuzzfactor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Sidblank wrote:Looking at things this morning I'm very optimistic. I wasn't looking forward to playing Stoke and didn't think we would win. But we played really well and should have won. Keep these levels up and it will all come together in time. Other clubs have yet to hit sticky patches but most always do. A few more astute signings in Jan and I may be able to settle down and enjoy this season
This.

That's the mentality we should have! We are Newcastle fans lets do our job properly as the players are doing. I'm fed up with the fan's "perpetual negative" mentality,really.
Sorry for my english, I'm belgian. <gent>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Quite hard to e positive when you're in the bottom 3 after 11 games. Nearly a third of the way through the season and we are still looking for excuses and trying to be positive.

By the way, I don't want the manager sacked ect, I'm just saying the club is zapping my enthusiasm at the minute.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Toondes wrote:Quite hard to e positive when you're in the bottom 3 after 11 games. Nearly a third of the way through the season and we are still looking for excuses and trying to be positive.
We wouldn't be anywhere the bottom three if Coloccini hadn't been sent off last week and Butland hadn't played a blinder yesterday. We're a team in transition right now, it's not all going to happen at once.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:43 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
LONDONTOON wrote:Football is played over 38 games,seems like we got a good performance but the keeper played excellent.

What?! Results are paramount. I'd rather see us play s**** and win 1-0 than play amazingly and come away with f*** all and get relegated.
I agree if it comes to that but there is plenty of football to be played this season before we get to that stage.

I only saw the first 30 mins yesterday but going off not just that but other recent performances we are playing the best football we've played in years. I'm confident the results will come with it soon. For now we just need to be patient. McClaren is in the process if transforming the entire philosophy of the club away from Pardew and Carvers s**** and towards a decent footballing side. It was never going to happen overnight and it hasn't. It takes time and from what I've seen we're getting there. Performances are getting better and better by the game and that's the most important thing right now. Results will follow, I'm sure of it.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm confident we'll beat Bournemouth next weekend and move out of the bottom three.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:43 am

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
Toondes wrote:Quite hard to e positive when you're in the bottom 3 after 11 games. Nearly a third of the way through the season and we are still looking for excuses and trying to be positive.
We wouldn't be anywhere the bottom three if Coloccini hadn't been sent off last week and Butland hadn't played a blinder yesterday. We're a team in transition right now, it's not all going to happen at once.
How many more times are we going to have an excuse though? We will run out of games eventually. Im usually quite optimistic but we have lost/ drawn games that we should be winning. I hope you're right tho. On the plus side out performances have looked better this season but we look so fragile at the back.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 am

By the way, I don't want the manager sacked ect, I'm just saying the club is zapping my enthusiasm at the minute.
This.

It honestly seems as though we're so used to being in such bad form that even small positives are over amplified.

I always acknowledge positives when I see them, but let's be real here, this is not a season for optimism. We've spent £50mill and we're in the relegation zone almost a third of the way through the season with one win.

Our original targets of being near the top 8-10 are also far out of sight now. This is where we should be aiming at, and this shouldn't be another season of just being happy to survive. There's a reasonable chance that we won't be far off where we were at the end of last season with Carver at the helm for half of it.

Yeah, maybe we need time to adapt, but Bilic came in at West Ham, signed a bunch of new players and is now sitting in 5th with almost 3 times more points than us.

The performances are certainly much better now, but at the end of the day, the results are more important. We've had 36 shots in our last 2 games and scored 0 goals. Bad luck, perhaps, but we can't keep making excuses every game.

Next up we've got Bournemouth away, Leicester at home, Crystal Palace away and Liverpool at home. With the way the team is at the moment, I don't see any of these as certain wins. We could well come away with 3-4 points from our next 4 games.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 am

The only positive aspect in our game as I see it, is that we look a little bit more dangerous up front. But even so, we're incapable to take our chances. Can't rely that every game we will score 6 from 6 and to play against defence like the Norwich one. The defence is the same shambles. The discipline is the same shambles. I don't want McClaren to be sacked, but also don't want to hear the propaganda how everything is wonderful. Time for results, not to use the excuses as the ref or the goalie... We've heard it a lot in the last 5 years, and this didn't go well.

blackandwhitegeordie
Wood's Touch

Post by blackandwhitegeordie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

Did Ranieri, Bilic or Flores tell their new signings at the beginning of the season, 'OK guys don't worry, we will give you plenty of time to settle in'. I doubt it very much and their results speak for themselves. Why are our managers and a lot of fans keep using this as an excuse for failure?

Le Quiff
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Le Quiff » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:20 am

Just watched the MOTD highlights, f*** me, how good was Butland!? Looks like we're playing some great football now and I'm impressed with the amount of actual good chances we've created. 36 shots in 2 games and should of really scored about 5 or 6. Going forward we will definitely be safe with that attacking prowess. Depending on January signings we may even challenge for Europa League.
It's not about money... It's about sending a message.

Southern fairy
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Southern fairy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:32 am

Le Quiff wrote:Just watched the MOTD highlights, **** me, how good was Butland!? Looks like we're playing some great football now and I'm impressed with the amount of actual good chances we've created. 36 shots in 2 games and should of really scored about 5 or 6. Going forward we will definitely be safe with that attacking prowess. Depending on January signings we may even challenge for Europa League.
As much as I massively disagree with that, I applaud your optimism!

I didn't realise we'd had 36 shots in 2 games. That's incredible that not one has resulted in a goal. We are clearly playing well and creating chances though so I'm doing my best to take positives from these results..
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."