The ToonForum Whisky Club

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by Hjl » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:24 am

Just got a bottle of Old Forester 1920. Very good bourbon! Pick up a bottle if you can find it.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Bottle of Maker's 46 off the Mrs for my birthday, very nice. Has that distinctive coconut whiff of Maker's Mark bur more flavour and stronger. Loads of sweetness and toffee/fudginess going on.

Sweeter than Eagle Rare and not as hot, not as smooth as Blantons though. Bursting with flavour, actually made Woodford Reserve taste a little bland by comparison. <gent>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:22 am

Nice! Happy birthday AP <cheers>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:00 am

Aldridge Prior wrote:Bottle of Maker's 46 off the Mrs for my birthday, very nice. Has that distinctive coconut whiff of Maker's Mark bur more flavour and stronger. Loads of sweetness and toffee/fudginess going on.

Sweeter than Eagle Rare and not as hot, not as smooth as Blantons though. Bursting with flavour, actually made Woodford Reserve taste a little bland by comparison. <gent>
Never tried Makers 46. Must be good though if your reviewing it higher than eagle rare.

Look for Old Forrester 1920. It's exceptional.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:42 am

Tried Jim beam Black last night. It was ok, nothing special

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am

Old Forrester 1920 doesn't appear to be available in the UK that I can see (from a quick Google search).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 am

Got a bottle of Old Grand Dad bonded. Very good for $18 a bottle. I was expecting paint thinner, it's actually better than maker mark!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Been meaning to try some of the Japanese whiskeys for ages but have had trouble sourcing them.

But am currently supping the Suntory Distillery's first craft gin, Roku. Have to say it is bloody lovely. If Yamazaki is half as good then I need to get some, and soon.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Been meaning to try some of the Japanese whiskeys for ages but have had trouble sourcing them.

But am currently supping the Suntory Distillery's first craft gin, Roku. Have to say it is bloody lovely. If Yamazaki is half as good then I need to get some, and soon.
Cannot go wrong with Japanese whisky DT. I've had Yamazaki, hibiki suntory, akashi, and nikka from the barrel. All excellent.

Usually find that my closest waitrose has 4 or 5 Japanese whiskey's <ok>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:Been meaning to try some of the Japanese whiskeys for ages but have had trouble sourcing them.

Cannot go wrong with Japanese whisky DT. I've had Yamazaki, hibiki suntory, akashi, and nikka from the barrel. All excellent.

I actually purchased the Roku from my local waitrose, but they didn'y have any Japanese whisky. I guess being a fairly small branch, in the scale of things, it has a smaller selection than normal.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:

I actually purchased the Roku from my local waitrose, but they didn'y have any Japanese whisky. I guess being a fairly small branch, in the scale of things, it has a smaller selection than normal.
Ah right. I'm quite lucky as my local one is a full size supermarket and the whiskey and bourbon selection is usually decent. My local Tesco Extra is good for bourbon and single malt but not as much for Japanese.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 am

Just finished my Aberfeldy 16 tonight. That didn't last long <rose>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 am

Just finished my Aberfeldy 16 tonight. That didn't last long <rose>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 am

Not a bad way to round off the weekend <gent>

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 am

Got a bottle of AnCnoc 12 off my bro for my birthday. It's very good, seems younger than a 12 year old but in a good way, it's a proper Speyside number but with a fresh herbal thing going on. Reminds me a lot of Old Pulteney too, but a little lighter and more balanced.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Just ordered some 'Evan Williams Extra Aged Bourbon' after seeing it on James Martins new program about America

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:39 pm

I need to stay off this thread during the week as it always makes me want a drink and I try not to have anything until Friday <laugh>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Will probably regret this in the morning but finishing the weekend off with an arbelour A'bunadh <diva>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:Will probably regret this in the morning but finishing the weekend off with an arbelour A'bunadh <diva>
You can never regret A'bunadh!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Chappy wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Will probably regret this in the morning but finishing the weekend off with an arbelour A'bunadh <diva>
You can never regret A'bunadh!
Well this is true <laugh>

Wouldn't generally have a 61% whiskey on a Sunday night but felt fine this morning <diva>