Wilshere (and Shelvey) Left Out of England Squad

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Re: Wilshere (and Shelvey) Left Out of England Squad

Post by Heisen » Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 pm

ALF wrote:I miss Sven, he was a right character.
Best England manager since Robson. Would have definitely won a major tournament if not for rotten luck in all 3 of the tournaments he managed in.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri May 18, 2018 12:39 am

Heisen wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:End of the day England don't have managers anymore, the team is picked on an FA commitee, ever since the ex pros and pundits whined about foreign managers we have only ever brought in English yes men, that's why the likes of Pardew are linked all the time, and that's why nothing has changed over the last 5-6 years.
So depressing but true. One day it'll hopefully change.

Is there another country in the EU quite as fearful of change and modern ways of coaching as England? What good is it having 50 and 60 year old businessmen in charge of our Football Association? I'm genuinely interested if that is the case in other European nations as I have no idea.
Scotland. Went foreign, failed, national outcry and back to the same old routine.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri May 18, 2018 5:45 am

Heisen wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:End of the day England don't have managers anymore, the team is picked on an FA commitee, ever since the ex pros and pundits whined about foreign managers we have only ever brought in English yes men, that's why the likes of Pardew are linked all the time, and that's why nothing has changed over the last 5-6 years.

Is there another country in the EU quite as fearful of change and modern ways of coaching as England? What good is it having 50 and 60 year old businessmen in charge of our Football Association? I'm genuinely interested if that is the case in other European nations as I have no idea.
Isn't the main guy the same bloke that oversaw the twiglets brand.

It's a joke, the FA is fully geared to a business model.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri May 18, 2018 6:51 am

Heisen wrote:

Don't forget that two historical giants of European football haven't even qualified, so we're not quite at rock bottom yet.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am

Colly wrote:
Don't forget that two historical giants of European football haven't even qualified, so we're not quite at rock bottom yet.
Fair point but how the hell anyone who's managerial record consists of relegating a club and finishing bottom in the group at a international tournament can be deemed good enough to lead the national team is farcical.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am

Joe Hart wrote on Twitter, "Not going to lie, I'm gutted. I know what I bring to the team, but it is what it is," after finding that he’d been omitted from the England World Cup squad.

Support for Joe poured in from around the globe.

“It’s such a shame. We’re gutted too” posted Nabil Maâloul from Tunisia

“We know what you bring to the team Joe and we’re so sorry you won’t be playing” wrote Panamanian Hernán Darío Gómez

One heart-broken fan of Hart; Roberto Martínez from Belgium could only state “Was really, really hoping to see you in goal for England again Joe”

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 11:35 am

<laugh>

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 29, 2018 3:35 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Heisen wrote:I predict a thoroughly depressing last 16 exit, where the inquests will open and everyone will be wondering what we do differently going forward. Southgate will be sacked and Steve Bruce will be appointed. Then we'll thrash Moldova 4-0 in September and it'll all start again.

Welcome to the England boom bust cycle.
You're forgetting the part where a tabloid paper tries to f*** over someone like Harry Kane before the tournament even starts. He'll be accused of something, tricked into making a shady business deal or an ex will come out of the woodwork and say he enjoyed her wearing a strap on and shafting him up his arse.
The Sun are having a good go at Sterling who has a tattoo of an assault rifle. His explanation seems legit about it being about his dad who was shot and killed when he was a kid. Doesn't stop them getting sound bites from an anti gun group about how he should have it removed immediately or never play for England again.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 29, 2018 12:06 pm

I think from FIFAs point of view they should be insisting on it being covered in games (which no doubt it will be), but the right wing media's hate campaign against Sterling is utterly disgusting. Gary Lineker's thoughts on Twitter this morning have been spot on.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 29, 2018 12:12 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
You're forgetting the part where a tabloid paper tries to **** over someone like Harry Kane before the tournament even starts. He'll be accused of something, tricked into making a shady business deal or an ex will come out of the woodwork and say he enjoyed her wearing a strap on and shafting him up his arse.
The Sun are having a good go at Sterling who has a tattoo of an assault rifle. His explanation seems legit about it being about his dad who was shot and killed when he was a kid. Doesn't stop them getting sound bites from an anti gun group about how he should have it removed immediately or never play for England again.
Seems a bit harsh to remove the limb.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Can't wait for the dreadful machine gun puns all the tabloid rags will be using during the tournament whenever Sterling does anything <ergh>

Still, I'm sure they will be better than the Rooney ones which didn't even make sense half the time.

ABSOROOTLEY WONDROOFUL
Kindly deeds done for free!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Colly wrote:I think from FIFAs point of view they should be insisting on it being covered in games (which no doubt it will be), but the right wing media's hate campaign against Sterling is utterly disgusting. Gary Lineker's thoughts on Twitter this morning have been spot on.
Funny how in the US it'd probably be celebrated by the right wing media <erm>

For the record, I'm of the mind that nobody should care, especially given it's backstory.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Colly wrote:I think from FIFAs point of view they should be insisting on it being covered in games (which no doubt it will be), but the right wing media's hate campaign against Sterling is utterly disgusting. Gary Lineker's thoughts on Twitter this morning have been spot on.
It's not really a right wing left wing issue.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Magdia wrote:

One of these is from the Mirror. The rest is the right wing press.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue May 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Colly wrote:
Magdia wrote:
[tweet][/tweet]

Right wing doesn't really mean anything. Most of the rags are confused about what day it is nevermind where they sit on the political spectrum.

In theory if you are right wing you'd support his individual freedom.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Alright, the side of the press that for whatever reason are annoyed that a talented young immigrant is representing England and inexplicably paying too much for things/paying too little for things/eating breakfast. Or the right wing press as any normal categorisation would describe it.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue May 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Colly wrote:Alright, the side of the press that for whatever reason are annoyed that a talented young immigrant is representing England and inexplicably paying too much for things/paying too little for things/eating breakfast. Or the right wing press as any normal categorisation would describe it.
The arsehole press. They are just looking for anything to get a story and they've happened upon this. I'd consider myself centre right but none of the traditional right wing papers represent my views at all.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Magdia wrote:
Colly wrote:
[tweet][/tweet]

Right wing doesn't really mean anything. Most of the rags are confused about what day it is nevermind where they sit on the political spectrum.

In theory if you are right wing you'd support his individual freedom.
To be fair, it'd depend on the freedom... <whistle>
I'm just being difficult, I know what you meant