NUFC annual accounts for the year up to June 30, 2017

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

NUFC annual accounts for the year up to June 30, 2017

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Tsi wrote:
Newcastle returned to the Premier League at the first attempt last season, but the club's year in English football's second tier, during which it had an average home attendance of 51,108, came at a cost.
United recorded an operation loss of £90.9million and turned over £85.7million, down from 125.8million the previous year. The club's loss after tax was £41.3million.
Newcastle's wage bill was a staggering £112.2million. This figure, according to the club, included "promotion bonuses and onerous contract provisions totalling just over £30million". The wage bill was the highest in the history of the Football League. United's wages to turnover ratio was 130.9%, up from 59.4% the previous season.
Owner Mike Ashley made a further interest-free loan of £15million to the club last year, taking the total debt to £144million. Managing director Lee Charnley revealed that the fees the club got from the sales of a number of players in summer of 2016 – Moussa Sissoko and Georginio Wijnaldum left the club after relegation – were payable over four years.
Full article here https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/fo ... -1-9170781

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: NUFC annual accounts for the year up to June 30, 2017

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

That's why Ashley says that Rafa can have every penny that the club generates, as last year that was nothing (worse than nothing...). So technically he never lied <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 pm

The transfer fee for Sissoko was payable over 4 years. Reminds me of Spurs fans all saying they could sell him after a year and he'd only cost them £6m <laugh>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

ALF wrote:The transfer fee for Sissoko was payable over 4 years. Reminds me of Spurs fans all saying they could sell him after a year and he'd only cost them £6m <laugh>
Yeah, great logic wasn't it <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Also, the 112m wage bill shows why a 120m transfer kitty after like 120m in revenue is maybe a bit unrealistic...

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Apparently the wage bill contained wages that were yet to be paid, supposedly making up around £30m+

I do find it bizzare that we get rid of some of our biggest earners and the wage bill then increases by nearly 40m, something isn't right there, a few people who claim to work in accounting are claiming they are deliberately misleading with what they have made public.

Also, if our accounts are so horrific and we are so destitute then how come we have suddenly sprung from £300m club to a £400m one <laugh>

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:Apparently the wage bill contained wages that were yet to be paid, supposedly making up around £30m+

I do find it bizzare that we get rid of some of our biggest earners and the wage bill then increases by nearly 40m, something isn't right there, a few people who claim to work in accounting are claiming they are deliberately misleading with what they have made public.

Also, if our accounts are so horrific and we are so destitute then how come we have suddenly sprung from £300m club to a £400m one <laugh>
Actually it isn't that strange <ashley>

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Fri May 18, 2018 4:11 pm

So we sold Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Janmaat, Townsend, Cabella, Cisse, Tiote and Coloccini, but the wage bill went up by £40m? Something seems off to me there.

This for me is just the club getting their hand in early to justify the fiscal belt-tightening this summer. Doesn't bode well at all, this year's money will just be used to wipe out the loss from last year. Therefore Rafa's summer and January budgets will come from the change - and there'll be very little left. Depressing stuff.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Would you guys prefer to go the route of the majority of clubs and go back to paying for players in instalments or stick to our pay up front policy?
Asking because it was discussed earlier today and there is pros/cons to both.Just wondered what you guys thought.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Fri May 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Tsi wrote:Would you guys prefer to go the route of the majority of clubs and go back to paying for players in instalments or stick to our pay up front policy?
Asking because it was discussed earlier today and there is pros/cons to both.Just wondered what you guys thought.
If it costs the same, it makes sense to delay payments.

Rob lee from the half way line
Wood's Touch

Post by Rob lee from the half way line » Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Tsi wrote:Would you guys prefer to go the route of the majority of clubs and go back to paying for players in instalments or stick to our pay up front policy?
Not sure why it would have to be an either or approach. Why not all small to medium priced players paid up front and larger fees (ie players you expect/hope to be at the club for 3-5 years) paid over 2-3 seasons.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri May 18, 2018 6:40 pm

I couldn't give a toss.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Rob lee from the half way line wrote:
Not sure why it would have to be an either or approach. Why not all small to medium priced players paid up front and larger fees (ie players you expect/hope to be at the club for 3-5 years) paid over 2-3 seasons.
I just heard a discussion for either or so i guess they were talking about big transfers or lack of if you have tight budgets and pay up front. Personally i'm not that bothered just wondered what people thought.
The argument for staggered payments was for the 12m we payed for Murphy we could have got him plus a big signing or him and 2 or 3 others. The argument against of course is you'll be paying 12m for the next 4 years with nothing coming in for it.
Last edited by Tsi on Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 pm

PTAO wrote:
I have to think though most clubs would ask for a higher price if being paid over a longer time, even though we rarely hear that level of detail about negotiations.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
PTAO wrote:
I have to think though most clubs would ask for a higher price if being paid over a longer time, even though we rarely hear that level of detail about negotiations.
Probably why the market is inflated in the first place.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Fri May 18, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
PTAO wrote:
Yeah in that case you need to weigh out the increase in cost vs the benefits of liquid cash.

Fonda Trevanion
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Fonda Trevanion » Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 am

May 24, 2018

The authoritative Swiss Ramble has added his comments on Newcastle United's 2016/17 accounts. He notes, 'Revenue has decreased by £1m since Ashley’s arrival in 2007 from £87m to £86m, despite £22m more central TV money. Commercial has fallen by £13m (46%), while match day is £10m (30%) lower. In fairness, 2017/18 revenue in PL will be much higher, estimated at £175-180m.'

It should be noted that if one factored in inflation, the £1m decline would look larger. Using the Bank of England inflation calculator £87m would be £110.8m in 2016 so the real decline in revenue is almost £24m.

He also notes, 'Over the years player sales have had a decent impact on Newcastle United profits contributing £180m since 2008. The club would have made small losses without this activity until 2014.' Average net spend under Ashley has been around £6m a year.

According to the Deloitte Money League Newcastle United had the 14th highest revenue in the world in 2007 before Ashley’s takeover, just £19m lower than the 10th placed club. In 2017 this gap has soared to £263m. Based on 17/18 estimate, Newcastle would be in 19th position, just ahead of Napoli.

'Commercial income should increase in 17/18, thanks to new shirt sponsor Fun88, reportedly worth £6m a year, plus first sleeve sponsor MRF Tyres. Puma have been the club’s kit supplier since 2010.'

However, 'Not only is the club's commercial income lower than £28m that Ashley inherited, but they have fallen way behind rivals, e.g. gap to Tottenham Hostpur has grown from £11m to £58m in that time.' The Swiss Ramble argues, 'The ubiquitous presence of Sports Direct advertising surely puts off other potential partners.'

The club 'enjoyed the fifth highest wage bill in England before Ashley bought it in 2007, but in 10 years this has risen by just £20m (34%) from £60m to £80m, while others have increased wages by significantly more, e.g. Tottenham Hotspur up £83m (190%) from £44m to £127m, so Newcastle dropped to 15th.'

'Nerwcastle's £152m debt is about twice as much as the £77m Ashley took on in 2007 and is the highest in his reign. It’s the first time an overdraft has been required since 2013. It was the second highest in the Championship, only below Brighton £207m (new stadium & training ground).'
First game Newcastle United v Burnley, 18 September 1965 W 3-2 Hilley Anderson and Bennett <love>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Constantly using Tottenham as the comparator seems a bit unfair.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Two seasons in the Championship, plus not being the top of the league and in the CL would probably do that to a club.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Thu May 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Colly wrote:Constantly using Tottenham as the comparator seems a bit unfair.
I agree. ashley pointed Villa as our goal for the first 5 year plan. And must admit it... It worked.

So everyone stop bitchin about Tottenham in the last decade!