TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Re: Match day - NUFC v Spurs

Post by TJR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am
Benefits of my formation we don't have to play Manquillo
That is a bonus but still not worth the risk I'd say. Could give Sterry an opportunity to show if he's good enough for this level. The other option would be Hayden, not his natural position but Rafa has used him at RB before and he probably would be a bit more solid than Manquillo.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm

I almost don't want to say it, but Manquillo isn't that bad that we have to play someone else out of position instead of him. If he was we might as well tear up his contract now...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm
I almost don't want to say it, but Manquillo isn't that bad that we have to play someone else out of position instead of him. If he was we might as well tear up his contract now...
This.

And on a different note, as much as I'm glad Joselu got the goal, he had an entire season last year to prove himself, and I don't think it's unfair to say he proved he wasn't a starting quality striker. I'd add, I liked the pressure Rondon put them under, and I think some people overstate how difficult it is for a striker to "learn Rafa's system".

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm
And on a different note, as much as I'm glad Joselu got the goal, he had an entire season last year to prove himself, and I don't think it's unfair to say he proved he wasn't a starting quality striker. I'd add, I liked the pressure Rondon put them under, and I think some people overstate how difficult it is for a striker to "learn Rafa's system".
This, Rondon has to start vs Cardiff.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm

TBC wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:04 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm
I don't think he will though. I actually think it would be harsh to drop Joselu, he got next to no service against Tottenham and still scored.
REQUIEM

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Ramone wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm
TBC wrote:

I don't think he will though. I actually think it would be harsh to drop Joselu, he got next to no service against Tottenham and still scored.
Never mind that, when is Ashley f***ing off?! <fist>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Ramone wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm
TBC wrote:

I don't think he will either, and it was a good finish. But I think the lineup should be based on who is most likely to score, and there's enough evidence to suggest that goal from him is one of what most likely won't be many. And I thought the subs managed to put more pressure on Spurs, but whether they deserve credit for facilitating more service, or it was just a case of us pressing more while trailing late in the game, that's hard to say.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 pm

#IfJoseluGoes(AndStartsVsCardiff)WeGo?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 pm

TJR wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am
Benefits of my formation we don't have to play Manquillo
That is a bonus but still not worth the risk I'd say. Could give Sterry an opportunity to show if he's good enough for this level.

the 22 year old that couldnt get a game for crewe alexandria in league 2? sounds pretty risky to me

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 am

Beatski wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 pm
TJR wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

That is a bonus but still not worth the risk I'd say. Could give Sterry an opportunity to show if he's good enough for this level.

the 22 year old that couldnt get a game for crewe alexandria in league 2? sounds pretty risky to me
There's often a reason players like him have yet to get the opportunity to prove they're good enough for this level.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 am
Beatski wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 pm

There's often a reason players like him have yet to get the opportunity to prove they're good enough for this level.
I hate to be the one who says it, but Dummett was in a very similar situation at 23 but now finds himself at first choice. It may yet happen.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 am

At 23 Dummett had played in the Premier League for three seasons, how is that a similar situation?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 am
At 23 Dummett had played in the Premier League for three seasons, how is that a similar situation?
Dummett was 22 when he broke into the first team.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am

Yeah lets completely write the lad off before he gets a chance.

Everyone develops at different times. Just because you haven't established yourself by the time your 20 doesn't mean you never will. Look at Jamie Vardy he was playing non-league until he was 25 and has now won a premier league title, played/scored for his country and broke a premier league record for goals scored in consecutive games.

Sterry is obviously rated by the coaching staff as he was handed a squad number and a place in the 25 man squad. If he wasn't he'd have been left out along with Aarons, Saviet and Lazaar. We only named 24 players as well so it's not just a case of naming an unwanted player for the sake of naming 25 as one of Aarons, Lazaar or Saviet would also have been included.

Lets wait until he's at least been handed a chance before writing him off.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 pm

jpg wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am
Colly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 am
Dummett was 22 when he broke into the first team.
Didn't realise he was a September child...

Regardless he'd managed a couple of seasons as at least Premier League backup before he'd turned 24, with some loan spells beforehand. I'm not writing Sterry off, but his history doesn't scream late developer, there are players who break through late but it's usually that they haven't been picked up rather than being at a big club and slowly coming good.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:49 pm

I must say this conversation is very similar to the one west brom fans are having right now, wondering how they let Kemar Roofe get away from them and he's now looking good at Leeds. Turns out he got better, figures.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 pm

I wasn't implying Sterry should be written off and sold. But that he should probably prove himself somewhere, whether it be on loan somewhere, or in training, before we presume that he must be better than a player that has PL experience. I get that Manquillo isn't great, but there's a huge jump for Sterry from a few appearances in League 2 to the Prem. If he isn't given that opportunity, I'm willing to trust that Rafa has seen evidence to justify that.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:29 pm

I've just caught the highlights as was busy over the weekend. Really encouraging that we were making chances against the team who over the last few seasons have had one of the best defences in the league. Carry on doing that against the likes of Cardiff and we'll be fine. Disappointing goals to concede, especially the second one but still plenty of positives to take from that. Joselu looked great, found space nicely for his goal, and hell of a pass to Kenedy, who knew he had that in his locker! Had he not been up against a defender as quick as Sanchez then maybe he'd have been through on goal for another.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:54 pm
¿Any news about Yedlinny? <erk>
The club can confirm that the knee injury sustained by DeAndre Yedlin on Saturday was not serious.
The USA international defender limped off towards the end of United’s season opener against Tottenham Hotspur.
However, he has been assessed and undergone treatment this week and is likely to resume training with his team-mates shortly.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:34 pm

^ That's good news at least! It looked really bad at the time - despite him at least limping off.