Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:27 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 pm
Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:18 pm

Your point seems to be to put morals over the club. Am I wrong? I don’t agree with what happens there, but are the potential new owners connected with it? Will it stop me supporting Newcastle? Will it ****.
Will it stop me loving my club? No. Will it stop me going to games, celebrating wins, cups etc? Yes.

What happens in Saudi is completely incompatible with my world view.
That’s your view, fair enough. All about opinions.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:11 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:05 pm

Again just proving my point. Putting the success of your football club over morals. Make the stand, be the difference. You care more about your football clubs success and put your hatred over Ashley over any doubts about being owned by one of the must disgusting regimes on the planet.

Money in football isn't the evil, it's needed and always has been since the 1950's for success, where it's coming from is the problem.
So you’ll stop supporting the club if the takeover goes through?
Man Cities support grew when they got took over. Do you think they give a toss?
I think some fans do. But at least for me, I think there's a difference between Sheikh Mansour and UAE, and the royal family of Saudi Arabia. At least with respect to how Saudi Arabia wields power, its role in international military conflicts, etc. But I absolutely recognise those lines will vary for everyone (as is fair), and I won't pretend to be an expert either.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:37 pm

For those who think that the Saudi regime owning the club hasn't crossed the line of unacceptability. I'd be interested to know where the line actually stands?

Drug money ok? Organised crime? How about money from people trafficking or forced underage prostitution? Is there a line at all or is it a case of "f*** it we've got money enough to compete with Man City or Liverpool, I don't care where it comes from."?

Because as bad as those examples are the Saudi regime has been guilty of a whole list of things just as bad and there are loads of people who just don't seem to care and I find that totally incomprehensible. I genuinely want to know what money would be unacceptable?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:37 pm
For those who think that the Saudi regime owning the club hasn't crossed the line of unacceptability. I'd be interested to know where the line actually stands?

Drug money ok? Organised crime? How about money from people trafficking or forced underage prostitution? Is there a line at all or is it a case of "f*** it we've got money enough to compete with Man City or Liverpool, I don't care where it comes from."?

Because as bad as those examples are the Saudi regime has been guilty of a whole list of things just as bad and there are loads of people who just don't seem to care and I find that totally incomprehensible. I genuinely want to know what money would be unacceptable?
I don't think people care where the line is about money being unacceptable. They want you/us to find a club in which the money is completely clean.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
TJR wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:02 pm

What point?

The one that Sheffield United were all devastated at promotion to the Premier League and turned their backs on the club as they didn't want to be associated with Saudi money?

Were Wolves fans refusing to celebrate qualifying for Europe until China improves its human rights record?

Rather than celebrating another league title last season were Man City fans instead protesting against the ownership of Sheikh Mansour?

Were Chelsea fans demanding Abramovich served jail time for his crimes rather than celebrating their first Premier League win back in 2005?
Again just proving my point. Putting the success of your football club over morals. Make the stand, be the difference. You care more about your football clubs success and put your hatred over Ashley over any doubts about being owned by one of the must disgusting regimes on the planet.

Money in football isn't the evil, it's needed and always has been since the 1950's for success, where it's coming from is the problem.
Are you aware of the number of large companies Saudi Arabia have investments in? This would just be another.

Twitter, Snapchat, Uber, Tesla, Slack, Accor Hotels etc are all companies benefiting from Saudi investment. Presumably your morals stop you using any of these?

What about petrol/diesel refined from Saudi oil? Do you ethically source your own petrol?

What about the UK government? Presumably you've moved out of the UK as it would be morally unacceptable to live in and support a country that supplies Saudi Arabia with arms?

If you looked deep enough into a lot of large companies most people use on a regular basis you'll be able to find links to Gulf states or China etc.

It's ridiculous to suggest that the likes of Sheff U, Wolves, Man City and Chelsea fans shouldn't celebrate success as the club owners don't morally align with them.

It's not about putting the success of your football club over morals. The two are completely seperate issues. Issues of morals, politics etc shouldn't be mixed with football.

Football is a sport, a form of entertainment, an escapism. People are going to love and support their football clubs regardless of the ownership of the club and rightly so.

Whether the owner of Newcastle is Mike Ashley, Freddy Shepherd, a Saudi Investment group or whoever, it is irrelevant. I support Newcastle United, not the chairman or the owner. That'll never change.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:52 pm

TJR wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:

Are you aware of the number of large companies Saudi Arabia have investments in? This would just be another.

Twitter, Snapchat, Uber, Tesla, Slack, Accor Hotels etc are all companies benefiting from Saudi investment. Presumably your morals stop you using any of these?

What about petrol/diesel refined from Saudi oil? Do you ethically source your own petrol?

What about the UK government? Presumably you've moved out of the UK as it would be morally unacceptable to live in and support a country that supplies Saudi Arabia with arms?

If you looked deep enough into a lot of large companies most people use on a regular basis you'll be able to find links to Gulf states or China etc.

It's ridiculous to suggest that the likes of Sheff U, Wolves, Man City and Chelsea fans shouldn't celebrate success as the club owners don't morally align with them.

It's not about putting the success of your football club over morals. The two are completely seperate issues. Issues of morals, politics etc shouldn't be mixed with football.

Football is a sport, a form of entertainment, an escapism. People are going to love and support their football clubs regardless of the ownership of the club and rightly so.

Whether the owner of Newcastle is Mike Ashley, Freddy Shepherd, a Saudi Investment group or whoever, it is irrelevant. I support Newcastle United, not the chairman or the owner. That'll never change.
Your point is daft. I couldn't live my life if I didn't use products from bad regimes. ( Anyway i only use twitter out of the companies you named). I try to eat vegy, buy clothes from fairtrade brands etc. You're applying standards that are impossible to adhere to and you're requiring perfection otherwise somehow my point isn't valid (?)

I can however stop my football club and my city being associated with a extremist, fascist regime. I'm a paid up Lib Dem for the past year, I know exactly where my position is on our countries current relationship with Saudi is.

If you want to have a debate on the UK and Saudi then I'm happy to have it, why we should support Saudi over Iran in a wider geopolitical context, happy to have that debate, it's not as simple as my view on Saudi links with our club i.e. f*** them.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:52 pm
TJR wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Your point is daft. I couldn't live my life if I didn't use products from bad regimes. ( Anyway i only use twitter out of the companies you named). I try to eat vegy, buy clothes from fairtrade brands etc. You're applying standards that are impossible to adhere to and you're requiring perfection otherwise somehow my point isn't valid (?)

I can however stop my football club and my city being associated with a extremist, fascist regime. I'm a paid up Lib Dem for the past year, I know exactly where my position is on our countries current relationship with Saudi is.

If you want to have a debate on the UK and Saudi then I'm happy to have it, why we should support Saudi over Iran in a wider geopolitical context, happy to have that debate, it's not as simple as my view on Saudi links with our club i.e. f*** them.
That is my point though, it is daft and it would be impossible.

When I fill my car up I can't pick and choose the source of the fuel and I also can't pick and choose who owns the football club I support.

I'll pass on the UK / Saudi debate. It's too late and I haven't read very far into it bar what gets filtered into mainstream news.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:11 pm

TJR wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:08 pm

does that mean you shouldnt try at all where you can

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:04 pm

I genuinely really hope this falls through though, I've always been against the idea of the trillionaire sugardaddy owner in general, but adding the extra context just hugely sours me on it.
This sums it up best for me. I want Ashley gone as much as the next guy but this just doesn’t sit well with me.

Why can’t we just have nice things?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:31 pm

Beatski wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:11 pm
TJR wrote:

<ok>

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:45 pm

Beatski wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:11 pm
TJR wrote:

It depends if there is an option of a better alternative and if you have the time to research the source of the investment in every company you purchase from / service you use.

Personally I'm not going to stop using twitter because it has received Saudi investment. Nor am I going to stop driving because I can't be sure of the source of my fuel. I'll support Newcastle United regardless of who the owner is.

There is a middle ground between boycotting everything linked to a bad regime (which is impossible) and actively supporting / donating to bad regimes. I'm pretty sure we're all somewhere within that middle ground.

We're just all at different points on the line between the two extremes.

If there was the option to buy the same product for the same price from two diffrent companies, one company owned by an investment fund for a bad regime and one owned by an ethical investment group. Most would buy from the ethical company, myself included.

It's never normally that simple though and it isn't possible to make all decisions based solely on moral principles. Other factors come into play.

I'm not going to stop supporting my football club because of a factor outside of my control. For me it's at a similar point on the middle ground line as not driving because I can't control the source of my fuel. I have no control/choice over where the oil comes from and never will. I have no control/choice over who owns my football club and never will.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:46 am

Honestly, I go away from TF from one night and look what I have to catch up on <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:46 am
Honestly, I go away from TF from one night and look what I have to catch up on <laugh>
This discussion is basically comparable to vegans and meat eaters, both are 100% behind their choice but will still argue to convince the other half, I'm in the camp of wanting to just enjoy my bacon sandwich <laugh>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:06 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
This discussion is basically comparable to vegans and meat eaters, both are 100% behind their choice but will still argue to convince the other half, I'm in the camp of wanting to just enjoy my bacon sandwich <laugh>
I honestly don't think it's that bad, Twitter is a mess but I do think this board has nice people on who can cope with a complicated situation.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:06 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:06 am
Don Sholeone wrote:

I honestly don't think it's that bad, Twitter is a mess but I do think this board has nice people on who can cope with a complicated situation.
f*** you! <fist>
Kindly deeds done for free!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:33 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I'm chortling at the irony that in your analogy I would be deemed one of the most ardent vegans … and yet I had a bacon sandwich for breakfast. <laugh>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:53 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Colly wrote:

**** you! <fist>
I didn't say everyone...

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Apparently they are talking about bringing back Rafa. That would be incredibly unfair. Bruce has done a better job this season than Rafa did last season if you ask me.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm

The best part is that this is all total bollocks. No takeover, no Saudi Prince, no Rafa, no Sancho...nothing. It's not happening.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Hjl wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:27 pm
Apparently they are talking about bringing back Rafa. That would be incredibly unfair. Bruce has done a better job this season than Rafa did last season if you ask me.
Better pointS wise but the football has been even worse imo. I know football is all about points but I haven’t really enjoyed a game this season barring the first half against West Ham .
# stolen from nufc.com :)