The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Unsurprisingly Warnock wins his first match at Boro, stick your money on them being promoted next season...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Dundee United planning to speak to Steve McClaren.

<schteve>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 pm

<laugh>

I’ve actually heard a few interviews with players / former players who say that he is a fantastic coach but he’s just not a manager.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:58 pm

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Is that 3 managers this season for Watford?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:10 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:03 pm
Is that 3 managers this season for Watford?
Four if you count whoever the new one is. Already had Flores and Gracia before Pearson. I realise they are struggling, with difficult games left, but can't see the logic in firing someone with two games left. You aren't getting anyone in that would be able do much difference, surely?
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Pearson has done really well there, got a mid table amount of points.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Danny Cowley sacked by Huddersfield as well - beat West Brom on Friday to secure safety.

Who'd be a football club manager eh?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:28 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:24 pm
Danny Cowley sacked by Huddersfield as well - beat West Brom on Friday to secure safety.

Who'd be a football club manager eh?
With the compensation for getting sacked I definitely would <laugh>

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:33 pm

ALF wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 pm
Apparently he's been ridiculously bad since the start, and got into a fight with the owners

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Beatski wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:33 pm
ALF wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 pm
Apparently he's been ridiculously bad since the start, and got into a fight with the owners
Have heard this too, Also heard rumours of Pearson squaring up to a Watford player at half time and being very aggressive towards him which was witnessed by a member of the board.

Pearson is a real old school manager but you can't much act aggressively towards a player nowadays without getting in trouble.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:45 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:14 pm
Beatski wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:33 pm

Have heard this too, Also heard rumours of Pearson squaring up to a Watford player at half time and being very aggressive towards him which was witnessed by a member of the board.

Pearson is a real old school manager but you can't much act aggressively towards a player nowadays without getting in trouble.
And with the number of successful player-friendly managers right now, it's pretty hard to suggest you have to treat players like that to get results (not saying there's only one right way though).

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Yeah I think the old school “headmaster” type manager doesn’t work at the top level now as players are so wrapped up in themselves.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:26 pm

Hate Pearson, has always come across as an arrogant bully. Pretty telling that nearly all his sackings has followed arguments hes had with staff and owners.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:11 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:06 pm
Yeah I think the old school “headmaster” type manager doesn’t work at the top level now as players are so wrapped up in themselves.
I agree with that, but I don't think it should be the case. Obviously there's a difference to the bully style as mentioned in another post, but I think the manager is the boss, the gaffer, the person in charge and should be listened to and command the respect of their players. Shouldn't be all hey guys I'm Christopher and it's really good to meet you, if you need anything I'm right here and we should all play happy families.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:05 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:11 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:06 pm
I agree with that, but I don't think it should be the case. Obviously there's a difference to the bully style as mentioned in another post, but I think the manager is the boss, the gaffer, the person in charge and should be listened to and command the respect of their players. Shouldn't be all hey guys I'm Christopher and it's really good to meet you, if you need anything I'm right here and we should all play happy families.
Sure, but I think the best managers have always found the middle ground. The best managers in any sport (or probably in regular workplaces) command and earn respect, without having to yell and scream it into people. I suspect that's not generational, but has always been true.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:05 pm
CIH wrote:

Sure, but I think the best managers have always found the middle ground. The best managers in any sport (or probably in regular workplaces) command and earn respect, without having to yell and scream it into people. I suspect that's not generational, but has always been true.
Good point, well made. Agreed.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
CIH wrote:

Was going to say, Guardiola has the perfect balance. He screams at his players but he's always there to help them. Never runs them down publicly either which gives him the edge over Mourinho.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:20 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm
Remember Colo wrote:

Was going to say, Guardiola has the perfect balance. He screams at his players but he's always there to help them. Never runs them down publicly either which gives him the edge over Mourinho.
Klopp is another. Clearly has a great bond and affection for his players, but also has a lot of fire too. All of one or the other will lose effect with time.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:20 pm
ALF wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Klopp is another. Clearly has a great bond and affection for his players, but also has a lot of fire too. All of one or the other will lose effect with time.
Yeah I think it was his interview after the man c game, he was clearly fuming and I bet the players knew it.