Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread - PIF Pull Out

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:32 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:38 pm
Now there's a Newcastle fan filming himself wandering around the Premier League HQ. I think this is going to get worse before it gets better.
Just wait for the outrage when he gets arrested for loitering / disturbing the peace.

It was funny the first day but slightly embarrassing now.

Knocking on the window of the office asking for a cup of a tea FFS
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Toon Takeover Thread - PIF Pull Out, Reuben Brothers still interested...?

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Anyone else find it hilarious and ironic that fans were livid with MPs for getting involved in the takeover when they were speaking out against it, but now are writing to them and praising their involvement hoping they'll pressure the PL for answers? Not to say I'm actually surprised at the hypocricy of it all.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 pm
Anyone else find it hilarious and ironic that fans were livid with MPs for getting involved in the takeover when they were speaking out against it, but now are writing to them and praising their involvement hoping they'll pressure the PL for answers? Not to say I'm actually surprised at the hypocricy of it all.
It's absolutely ridiculous. MPs should not be wasting their time on this. Newcastle fans have come out of this whole thing looking like completely childish wankers.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
But we all knew that football fans are hypocrites so makes sense <laugh>

Maybe people should just get over it, a deal collapsed, move on.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:02 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
It's absolutely ridiculous. MPs should not be wasting their time on this. Newcastle fans have come out of this whole thing looking like completely childish wankers.
Sure, I agree the PL has come out of this looking like cowards, and they should have stood behind a decision instead of playing chicken. But the bed sheet brigade calling them corrupt and protesting at their offices in defence of a foreign dictatorship have lost the plot.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:13 pm

It also seems kinda weird to me that people who opposed the takeover on moral grounds are embarrassed and want to gaslight people wanting transparency from the Premier League, Also these people think its embarrassing that people see potential corruption and think its completely ridiculous to make their concerns heard and call for an investigation. <roll>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:18 pm

He could’ve saved a few quid and just bought us.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:06 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:13 pm
It also seems kinda weird to me that people who opposed the takeover on moral grounds are embarrassed and want to gaslight people wanting transparency from the Premier League, Also these people think its embarrassing that people see potential corruption and think its completely ridiculous to make their concerns heard and call for an investigation. <roll>
No, I thought it ridiculous when MPs were weighing in months ago on one side, and still think it's ridiculous now. And to compare Saudi human rights, miltitary transgressions and corruption to the Premier League's cowardice in declining them based on those grounds seems a bit apples and oranges to me.

I actually think it reasonable that people want the league to answer for themselves and go on record for why they didn't make a decision and how they'll improve the transparency of the process going forward. There's billions of dollars at stake and everyone from the fans to prospective owners deserve to understand the process and establish reasonable expectations. But I think almost any time football fans of any club do smalltime protests with bedsheets and banners it's embarrassing, and they should maybe find an issue more important than sports to care so much about. Is that judgemental of me? Absolutely. But even as a gigantic sports fan I feel no shame in saying it.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:33 pm

Is this still a thing <roll>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:43 pm

I think it's still possible for some nuance in all this. I was against the takeover and of course am glad it collapsed regardless of how it happened, but I still see merit in asking for transparency in how the league assesses who gets to buy football clubs.

And let's not start accusing MPs of hypocrisy, Chi Onwurah has always been clear she wasn't a fan of the Saudi takeover, but as many have pointed out if there were to be investment in the area (even if not, the club is a major employer in her constituency) it's clearly within her duty to represent that and ask the questions of the league.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
It seems kind of weird to me that people who think Saudi Arabia's human rights abuses and blatant corruption are of no concern and that politics has absolutely no place in football... until it isn't going their way. Suddenly corruption is a huge issue and there is now a petition trying to get the Prime Minister involved, which is fairly political. That's why it's embarrassing.

You're kidding yourself if you think people are doing this for the greater good.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 am

So apparently the Saudis just tried to assassinate another person. Glad they are out.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 am

Hjl wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 am
So apparently the Saudis just tried to assassinate another person. Glad they are out.
Sent a hit squad to Canada or something? They sound like just the sort of people we want involved in the club.

But on the other hand they would spend money on the city and buy loads of good players so it doesn't really matter what they do. They can torture and murder whoever they want, it's just their culture and we have to accept that.

Mike Ashley though, what a f***ing tyrant. We cannot have someone who treats staff the way he does running the club. It's absolutely outrageous.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:29 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
It seems kind of weird to me that people who think Saudi Arabia's human rights abuses and blatant corruption are of no concern and that politics has absolutely no place in football... until it isn't going their way. Suddenly corruption is a huge issue and there is now a petition trying to get the Prime Minister involved, which is fairly political. That's why it's embarrassing.

You're kidding yourself if you think people are doing this for the greater good.
This. I mean it's more nuanced in terms of I'm annoyed in the way that the deal has seemingly collapsed but so happy we wont have a borderline fascist regime involved in a Yemeni massacre (not really a war) with a horrific human rights record and likes to assassinate foreign and domestic targets very openly.

How anyone can support their takeover of us is beyond me to be honest. Then as Dave says getting MPs etc involved is just laughable.
Last edited by Blue & Maroon on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:20 am

Why are people still saying #Approvethesale? There isn't a sale to approve anymore.

Also the talk of the fans getting together and buying the club <laugh> Can you f***ing imagine what an absolute shitshow that would be?!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:08 pm

If you can't pull off a hit job in Canada of all f***ing countries...

We've dodged a bullet here.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Even if the takeover had gone through, the Saudi transgressions that people are happy to look past now are exactly the same transgressions that people will be up in arms about in five years time when everything is completely f***ed and the club still hasn't won anything <laugh>.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:27 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:43 pm
I think it's still possible for some nuance in all this. I was against the takeover and of course am glad it collapsed regardless of how it happened, but I still see merit in asking for transparency in how the league assesses who gets to buy football clubs.

And let's not start accusing MPs of hypocrisy, Chi Onwurah has always been clear she wasn't a fan of the Saudi takeover, but as many have pointed out if there were to be investment in the area (even if not, the club is a major employer in her constituency) it's clearly within her duty to represent that and ask the questions of the league.
Maybe I need to correct myself (and looking back at my previous post, I definitely do), but I was accusing the fans of hypocrisy, not the politicians. I think some, like the one you mentioned had a lot of salient points, and when it's a government purchasing the club, I can understand why domestic politicians could have involvement. I thought some of the initial MP statements felt a bit disingenuous though, and thought some of the recent ones felt a bit reactionary. I actually get that they're trying to represent their constituants, and there are a lot of government and local business implications relating to a deal as complicated as this.
Last edited by Remember Colo on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Boris has actually chucked his two pence in now <laugh>

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:55 pm

NATIONALISE THE FOOTBALL CLUBS