Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread - PL Release Statement

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:19 pm

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -valuation

This seems to be the same group mentioned earlier in the s*n that apparently want Shearer in some sort of capacity. I was sceptical it was even a serious thing based on that, but it seems to be legitimate. 280m bid, set to be rejected by Ashley, but apparently the group are preparing a second offer. Eva Shen set to be the new front if successful.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:28 pm

TJR wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56 am
The concerning thing about this bid Chopra is fronting (aside from it being fronted by Chopra ofcourse) is that they've already announced it in the media before anything has even been agreed.

Why can't a group just follow normal practice and not leak anything to the media? The first we should hear about a takeover is the official announcement when it is completed.
I agree that this is too public too early, but there is way too much interest, money, and ego involved for any PL club purchase to stay quiet until it's official.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:39 pm

If anyone thinks that is remotely credible they need to have a word with themselves <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:39 pm
If anyone thinks that is remotely credible they need to have a word with themselves <laugh>
That video with Keith Downie lends it some legitimacy to me. I agree the Chopra and Shearer links seem a bit daft, if not pandering, but Downie is saying that he's seen the articles of incorporation, a 29 page deal contract, and seemingly proof of funds. Sounds like a start, at least.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:10 pm

CIH wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:04 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:39 pm
That video with Keith Downie lends it some legitimacy to me. I agree the Chopra and Shearer links seem a bit daft, if not pandering, but Downie is saying that he's seen the articles of incorporation, a 29 page deal contract, and seemingly proof of funds. Sounds like a start, at least.
I always thought Downie just reports pretty much anything tbh.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:20 pm

I for one look forward to watching Novacastle United playing football.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:09 pm

Is it even a takeover if it isn't goint to make the club the richest on the planet?
Kindly deeds done for free!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:24 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:09 pm
Is it even a takeover if it isn't goint to make the club the richest on the planet?
It's like we're being passed around for a swap after probate and we're Uncle Bobs shitty stamp collection he created in the Faroe Islands when he was forced to stop over for a few days due to bad weather.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:38 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:24 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:09 pm
It's like we're being passed around for a swap after probate and we're Uncle Bobs shitty stamp collection he created in the Faroe Islands when he was forced to stop over for a few days due to bad weather.
Yeah, but did you see all of the First Day Covers in his collection? So much potential.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:51 pm

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:15 pm

One thing about this new group which I find odd is that Chopra is involved.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Chopra have a lot of issues with gambling not sure how much you'd trust him to help run a football club (if he'd be involved in day to day running)
I'll Hazard a guess

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:16 pm

In fairness Chopra has been tweeting hints for ages, everyone just thought he was ITK about PIF but it sounds like he knew that it wouldn't go through and they were waiting to step in. Could be legit.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:55 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:16 pm
In fairness Chopra has been tweeting hints for ages, everyone just thought he was ITK about PIF but it sounds like he knew that it wouldn't go through and they were waiting to step in. Could be legit.
I'm not doubting the legitimacy of the bid just the long term role of Chopra
I'll Hazard a guess

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:02 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:55 pm
ALF wrote:
Yeah I was just responding to the comments doubting it. Agree that Chopra can't be involved in running the club, he has no credentials for that role. At best he's a broker for the deal and a twitter hype man.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
ALF wrote:
Really? There is absolutely nothing legitimate about this in the slightest.

Here are a few of the red flags:
  • Leaked a badly worded statement and 'confidential' documents supoosedly showing proof of the bid to the media. All before anything has been agreed.
  • Have bid (or claimed to) considerably lower than the asking price.
  • Claimed to have Shearer on board. Shearer has denied this.
  • Claim to be close with Cristiano Ronaldo and say they are going to sign him.
  • Social media accounts and website are only a month old.
  • Website includes badly photoshopped images with Obama.
  • Head office is a rented €100 an hour conference room.
  • Bid is fronted by Chopra, a gambling addict with gambling debts. Not the man you want fronting a consortium buying a club.
  • Claimed to be in advanced talks with Ashley. Ashley's camp have said it has not got to this stage and they doubt the seriousness of the bid.
Even the local media, who normally lap up any takeover talk as gospel are saying this is a load of s****.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:31 pm

<laugh>
Chopra now living rent free in some Newcastle fans heads ! You couldn’t make it up.......... oh wait
Clydeside & Tyneside

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am

TJR wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

• Leaked a badly worded statement and 'confidential' documents supoosedly showing proof of the bid to the media. All before anything has been agreed.
  • Claimed to have Shearer on board. Shearer has denied this.
  • Social media accounts and website are only a month old.
  • Bid is fronted by Chopra, a gambling addict with gambling debts. Not the man you want fronting a consortium buying a club.
  • Claimed to be in advanced talks with Ashley. Ashley's camp have said it has not got to this stage and they doubt the seriousness of the bid.
Even the local media, who normally lap up any takeover talk as gospel are saying this is a load of s****.
Yep - spot on! It's hilarious that Sky are so desperate that they actually gave this 'story' any air time.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am
TJR wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm

• Claimed to have Shearer on board. Shearer has denied this. - Maybe he's denied due to an NDA or he doesn't want to risk his job at the BBC
  • Social media accounts and website are only a month old. So? doesn't mean they didn't have them before I see something on their website about a merger perhaps they are rebranding?
    I agree they look odd
    How do you know this? have you been there?, many global companies also do this now too btw so not that massive a deal
    This was my main point which I've already pointed out
Agree slightly odd but again maybe Ashley is adhering to an NDA and not giving away too much
Yep - spot on! It's hilarious that Sky are so desperate that they actually gave this 'story' any air time.
All I'm saying is I have my doubts too. I agree with all those points above if they were serious then they've gone about it in a very strange way.

I'd also like to question a few things you've stated above too.

I'd also like to state that this response isn't an attack on your views as I state above I agree but I'm giving them the benefit.
I'll Hazard a guess

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:53 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am

All I'm saying is I have my doubts too. I agree with all those points above if they were serious then they've gone about it in a very strange way.

I'd also like to state that this response isn't an attack on your views as I state above I agree but I'm giving them the benefit.
Think this is fair.

In addition I can't see anything wrong with bidding below the asking price. The previous bid was accepted pre-recession, the value of most businesses will have dropped now. Not to mention we're getting close to starting a season with no investment so the club is weaker. And Mike Ashley has shown he wants to get rid, makes more sense to go in at £280m rather than the fake American who went in at £350m.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:07 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Think this is fair.

In addition I can't see anything wrong with bidding below the asking price. The previous bid was accepted pre-recession, the value of most businesses will have dropped now. Not to mention we're getting close to starting a season with no investment so the club is weaker. And Mike Ashley has shown he wants to get rid, makes more sense to go in at £280m rather than the fake American who went in at £350m.
I think it makes sense bidding "lower" so long as it's an opening bid. Some of the stuff coming out is making me doubt the legitimacy though, despite my clutching at straws all in excitement a mere 24 hours ago. It's the Ronaldo thing that did me in the end, it just seems like sensationalist bollocks.