Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:07 pm
Souness doing his best to be a cronut
That wouldn't be hard!

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Re: Match day thread - West Ham United v Newcastle United

Post by Speedo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:19 pm

David Moyes has aged about 30 years since he joined West Ham, Jesus. Wrinkles where I didn’t even think you could have wrinkles
I had the first custom w***

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:30 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:23 pm
jpg wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Think I’m on there now. Got some hacky stream from ESPN brazeeel.

Any upgrades welcome
You can watch it on youtube;

That was super helpful thanks!

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:30 pm
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:23 pm

You can watch it on youtube;

That was super helpful thanks!
No problem <gent> <cheers>

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:32 pm

I can confirm that i am now feeling positive, however I am notoriously fickle so I look forward to being a penis when we draw/lose the next game.

It's the Newcastle way.
There is no sin except stupidity.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:38 pm

All the new lads had cracking games, Hendrick looks quality, Lewis solid and busy, Wilson looking like a great piece of business, especially if we keep creating chances for him.
My only complaint would be the subs, they were very late and a bit odd, would have brought Carroll off sooner and would have given Fraser at least 10 minutes.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:46 pm

All in all I'd say I was fairly happy with that.

Hard to tell if we looked good or west ham looked crap. A few more games and we will have a better idea.

New signings looked legit though.
Last edited by Hjl on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:49 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:46 pm
All in all I'd say I was fairly happy with that.

Hard to tell if we looked good or west ham looked crap. A few more he's and we will have a better idea.

New signings looked legit though.
They were pretty crap, but I appreciated our intent. We went out wanting to win the match and set up to attack - which was before we knew they were going to phone it in for 80 minutes.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 am

Not to be all doom and gloom but I do think they were terrible and hit the bar twice and Soucek should have scored. That said we controlled the game and were deserving of the win. Hendrick had a good game but I couldn’t really work out where he was playing and f*ck me I think he’s slower than Shelvey. Interesting to see how Almiron and Fraser can fit into that team, presumably one can come in for Andy (who also had a good enough game). Well if we’re gonna play 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1 you can probably only get one of them in. Just didn’t love the team selection and really do think it was more a case of them being terrible.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:42 am

You can only beat whats in front of you. We were very positive and on the front foot for most of the game, we created lots of chances and defended well. Sure West Ham were not the best but I didnt see anything from us to suggest we wouldn't have won if they had played well. Also think us being the more positive side stopped them from getting in the game.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:43 am

Captain Obvious wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 am
Not to be all doom and gloom but I do think they were terrible and hit the bar twice and Soucek should have scored. That said we controlled the game and were deserving of the win. Hendrick had a good game but I couldn’t really work out where he was playing and f*ck me I think he’s slower than Shelvey. Interesting to see how Almiron and Fraser can fit into that team, presumably one can come in for Andy (who also had a good enough game). Well if we’re gonna play 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1 you can probably only get one of them in. Just didn’t love the team selection and really do think it was more a case of them being terrible.
The thing is I think we knew they were going to play a very physical style - Bruce reckons they had 8 men over 6’ 3”. I can totally imagine us switching to a 4-2-3-1 for games like Brighton next week, which will be a more mobile game, Carroll won’t be able to play 85 mins in that. In a 4-2-3-1 there’s much more space for Almiron and Fraser.

I think and hope that this is evidence of us just becoming tactically more versatile vs. committing to 4-4-2 every week.
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:55 am

Did anyone notice how much Hendrick was popping up in the box, he was in there for nearly all of our good chances, wondering if we will see more of that or whether it was more to do with his position for this match. I was getting some Kevin Nolan vibes from him, can see him bagging a few goals and assists if that something we see more of for the rest of the season.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 am

Yep even from the first ten minutes it was clear he wasn't going to be an orthodox winger, but st the same time he was constantly there for Manquillo. Very positive.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:01 am

Hayden and hendrick were absolutely phenomenal for us in the midfield

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 am

New signings look very settled and promising of more to come.
Matched up against them and deserved the win as opposed to sneaking a lucky win.
The depth of squad is much enhanced and looking at our bench it was the assuring instead of a WTAF cringe.
Expect a tougher test next week against Brighton but another win and it’s a great start for us, build some belief and with the squad additions, s***, I have pulses of optimism

On the other hand West Ham looked lacking in motivation , sluggish at times and downright awful the rest of the time.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:43 am

Speedo wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:43 am
Captain Obvious wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:53 am
The thing is I think we knew they were going to play a very physical style - Bruce reckons they had 8 men over 6’ 3”. I can totally imagine us switching to a 4-2-3-1 for games like Brighton next week, which will be a more mobile game, Carroll won’t be able to play 85 mins in that. In a 4-2-3-1 there’s much more space for Almiron and Fraser.

I think and hope that this is evidence of us just becoming tactically more versatile vs. committing to 4-4-2 every week.
This. <ok>

I'll like to see this eventually.. especially for games at home

Duba
Manquillo Lascelles Fernandez Lewis
Hayden Shelvey
Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson

Would be hard to get Hendrick out of the team if he carries on the form he showed yesterday. Doesn't look like a natural winger with speed and skill but more of a right midfielder/central midfielder with decent technique (passing/control/touch/football IQ), high work-rate, helps out defensively and will chip in with a few goals/assists here and there. Looks like a decent all-round team player.. sometimes you need those sort of players who don't do anything amazing/spectacular/eye-catching but give a nice balance to the team, keeps things ticking over and does all the simple stuff well. Maybe there's a reason AC Milan wanted him? :bandit: <scratch>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:05 pm

The three new guys looked like the three best players in the team.

Oh, and that's what a forward scoring a goal looks like! He looks like Pele next to Joelinton.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 pm

From what i gather, Hendrick mainly playing on the right for Burnley was a lot like Barton for us in that he's a central mid but can do a good job on the right. Could see a pairing of him and Hayden in the middle working well for us in a 4231 if we need a bit more ball winning ability (maybe with a longstaff in the hole in front of them)
<perv>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:21 pm

We've got so many options now it's quite scary.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:43 pm

Beatski wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 pm
From what i gather, Hendrick mainly playing on the right for Burnley was a lot like Barton for us in that he's a central mid but can do a good job on the right. Could see a pairing of him and Hayden in the middle working well for us in a 4231 if we need a bit more ball winning ability (maybe with a longstaff in the hole in front of them)
<perv>
Yeah wasn’t one of the reasons he left Burnley because Dyche couldn’t guarantee he’d get to play in his preferred position in the middle?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?