The Botman Thread - Friday Announcement!

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Re: The Botman Thread - Fee Agreed?

Post by Tsi » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 am

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm
The international window makes sense, but is that actually the case? Can't say I know too much about window specifics.

My first thought was there were a few bits to sign off on that cannot be done today but the club felt pressured given the attention put on the announcement so agreed to announce it as "in principle"
This could also be the reason
For both Newcastle United and Lille, the end of June is also the end of their financial years. Thursday the last day of June and final day of the current financial year / season, then Friday is the first day of July and the first day of the next financial year / season.

Safe to think that very likely then, it suited one or both clubs to have this deal in the next financial year. Maybe this was even essential to the deal going ahead?

Full article here

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/06/sven-b ... le-united/

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm

Also probably awaiting work permit, brexit has made a simple transfers a little more difficult as you have to wait for approval from the HMRC.

Ifirc Brunos transfer was the same
I'll Hazard a guess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:09 pm

Tsi wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm
The international window makes sense, but is that actually the case? Can't say I know too much about window specifics.

My first thought was there were a few bits to sign off on that cannot be done today but the club felt pressured given the attention put on the announcement so agreed to announce it as "in principle"
This could also be the reason
For both Newcastle United and Lille, the end of June is also the end of their financial years. Thursday the last day of June and final day of the current financial year / season, then Friday is the first day of July and the first day of the next financial year / season.

Safe to think that very likely then, it suited one or both clubs to have this deal in the next financial year. Maybe this was even essential to the deal going ahead?

Full article here

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/06/sven-b ... le-united/
I did see the French window doesn't open until Friday

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:21 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm
Also probably awaiting work permit, brexit has made a simple transfers a little more difficult as you have to wait for approval from the HMRC.

You obviously know the business while I get my info from reporting, but if I remember correctly, the brexit impacts were going to really inhibit incoming transfers from a lot of less prominent footballing countries. Maybe Canada's uptick in ranking the past couple years has resolved it, but I remember at the time being sad it was going to be so hard to see Canadian footballers play in England.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm

Whatever the reason for the delay, it means we get a Friday announcement <diva>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:28 pm

lol friyay!

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:57 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:21 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm

You obviously know the business while I get my info from reporting, but if I remember correctly, the brexit impacts were going to really inhibit incoming transfers from a lot of less prominent footballing countries. Maybe Canada's uptick in ranking the past couple years has resolved it, but I remember at the time being sad it was going to be so hard to see Canadian footballers play in England.
Rankings would be one part of it, senior appearances another,league they're coming from.

So for example you could have a Canadian (43rd in WR) with 10 caps vs a player let's say from Venezuela (56th) with 50+ caps the Venezuelan would probably get the work permit sooner if they both played in MLS...
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: The Botman Thread - Formalities conclude Friday

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:50 pm

Is it odd that this hasn't had an official proper confirmation now? I know the thought is it was to be confirmed after the financial period, and with the international window opening. Both today. Would think it would be fairly swift if everything agreed in principle?

Remy to QPR has given me a complex

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:29 pm

Sven Botman has now completed his move Newcastle United from Lille after a deal to bring the highly-rated defender to St. James’ Park was agreed in principle earlier this week.

The Magpies fought off competition from a host of European sides to secure the signature of the 22-year-old, who has penned a five-year contract with the club having won the Ligue 1 title and the Trophée des Champions during his two seasons in France.

Botman graduated from the famed Academy set-up at Ajax before - following a loan spell with Heerenveen - he joined Lille, where he played in the Champions League and Europa League. He has captained the Netherlands at under-21 level, as well as being called up to the full squad for the first time in November 2020.

The 6ft 4ins left-footed centre-back becomes Eddie Howe's third signing of the summer following the arrival of Matt Targett and Nick Pope earlier this month.

Botman said: "I'm really happy - delighted - and I can't wait to start this new adventure. This is the best day of my life, to sign a contract with Newcastle United. It's a day I've worked hard for and I'm very excited.

"Newcastle had a long-term plan to get to the top, for both me and for the club, and they play in the Premier League which is the best league in Europe. The whole package is just perfect. I'm looking forward now to meeting the fans and also my new team-mates."

The Badhoevedorp-born player completed his medical on Tyneside at the beginning of the week, with the formalities of the deal completed on Friday.

Head coach Eddie Howe said: "I'm delighted Sven is joining us. He is technically very good, physically very good and has a great attitude.

"At 22, he already has solid experience at the top level but he is at a great age to grow with this team. I am looking forward to getting to work with him and seeing him with his new team-mates."

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:36 pm

Don't you just love a Friday announcement!

Hadn't realised he'd captained the Nether regions at under 21 level.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:43 pm

Nevermind <whistle>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:08 pm

Found it interesting that he spoke about being good with his right foot as well as his left, makes me think that he's going to potentially play RCB. He's all but the same height as Burn, those 2 paired at the back with Pope in goal will make opposition corners and long balls pretty pointless <laugh>

Could be susceptible to pace in behind though. Wouldn't be shocked if another (faster) CB came in.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:08 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:08 pm
Found it interesting that he spoke about being good with his right foot as well as his left, makes me think that he's going to potentially play RCB. He's all but the same height as Burn, those 2 paired at the back with Pope in goal will make opposition corners and long balls pretty pointless <laugh>

Could be susceptible to pace in behind though. Wouldn't be shocked if another (faster) CB came in.
Can't say I've watched enough of him but he seems pretty rapid for a tall lad, don't think he's slow by any means.

I've read comments about him being slow to turn but this seems to come from one French journo and has been echoed by other clubs' (Villa/Mackem) fans.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:24 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:08 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:08 pm

Can't say I've watched enough of him but he seems pretty rapid for a tall lad, don't think he's slow by any means.

I've read comments about him being slow to turn but this seems to come from one French journo and has been echoed by other clubs' (Villa/Mackem) fans.
I think he has enough pace for the PL, I think it's just a case of him adapting to the pace of the league. He's supposed to be great positionally and reads the game well, which would more than make up for any shortcoming in terms of speed.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The Botman Thread - Friday Announcement!

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:52 pm

I’ve never seen him play but supposedly he had a very good game against Chelsea in the champions league last season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:06 pm

Seen the video of him getting out the people carrier for training - he is a bloody unit!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:15 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:06 pm
Seen the video of him getting out the people carrier for training - he is a bloody unit!
They sure included a lot of shirtless footage of him in the promo videos.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:25 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:15 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
They sure included a lot of shirtless footage of him in the promo videos.
<perv>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Just a smidge shorter than Burn but less gangly looking. Excited to see what he can do for us.