Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

User avatar
lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc
Posts: 1368
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Stavanger

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Slim999 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:49 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 pm
I don't think we'll be relegated

We're better then at least 3 other teams, Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff will go down I think
If we can beat Cardiff at home I will remain fairly sure we can stay up.

Looking at the games of all the bottom clubs up to Brighton - many have harder run ins than us after Jan.

From Feb to end of season we only play top 6 sides 3 times - all others except Burnley have 4 games. Burnley have 5 - so still looking tough for them.

But we could desperately do with a bit of attacking flair. We will need more than 34 points to stop up - so at least another 16 ormr 17 to get.

.....First 3 of those Vs Cardiff please...
Yep I think we have a better set of games then the other 3 I mentioned above.

I don't think we played that badly today, two defensive mistakes cost us goals.

As you say games against Cardiff, Huddersfield ,Burnley and Fulham will be key if we pick up 8 points from those I'd think we'll pick up another few points( 5-6) in the other games to survive
<ayo>

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Colly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:58 pm
The difference in bias between the BT and the MOTD commentary is amazing. MOTD saying not a foul for Richie’s yellow and that Perez going down was foul. Also highlighting Benitez’ annoyance after the goal because the corner not taken as he requested. Lee Ryder suggesting Richie put it in the box after pressure from the away fans in that corner. Worrying when a lot of our goals have come from corners. What is Rafa thinking?
The corner routines are insane. Ritchie is our best crosser and set piece taker (unless Ki is on when it gets arguable). So why on earth do you hoy your three centre halfs, Rondon, Diame usually etc in the box then play a short pass to f***ing Atsu?

Perez in the box definitely wasn't a pen though...

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 pm

We have to beat Cardiff, Huddersfield and Burnley and Southampton at home IMO. A draw away at Fulham would be fine but we can’t drop points in those home games.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Oh, and Chelsea fans are absolute s***. Think they had one murmur of a song after an hour and that was literally it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc
Posts: 1368
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Stavanger

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:39 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 pm
We have to beat Cardiff, Huddersfield and Burnley and Southampton at home IMO. A draw away at Fulham would be fine but we can’t drop points in those home games.
Definitely those Home games are going to be key.
But as I said above 8 points from those 4 games plus another win and two draws would be enough.

I actually think 2 or 3 wins will be enough, Huddersfield won't pick up more points then us so don't worry about them, Fulham just look like they can't keep a clean sheet(bar against us) so I can't see them picking up the wins they need to catch us.

That leaves Cardiff they play both Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool so I can't see them picking up anything there. Even in between those they have some very tough games Everton, Wolves, Southampton and ourselves I really can't see them getting more points then us either.
<ayo>

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Hjl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 am

I must admit im a little concerned about Rafas reaction to the goal. Does having his own way really matter more to him than scoring a goal? thats f***ing nuts.

User avatar
Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 15508
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm
Location: Lidl

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Lidl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 am

Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 am
I must admit im a little concerned about Rafas reaction to the goal. Does having his own way really matter more to him than scoring a goal? thats f***ing nuts.
Would further explain why we got rid of Mitro...
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

User avatar
Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg
Posts: 9287
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Heisen » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am

Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 am
I must admit im a little concerned about Rafas reaction to the goal. Does having his own way really matter more to him than scoring a goal? thats f***ing nuts.
Haven't seen it, what does he do? Surely he's not in a huff because we didn't play the corner short?
Image

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:19 am

The short corner routine is absolutely pointless.

Reminds me of a story Peter Crouch said from his time at Liverpool when Rafa was in charge. Rafa played Kuyt as the striker, Bellamy on the right wing and Crouch on the left wing (if you can believe that). Crouch said he had a shocker in the first half as half the time he ended up in the LB position and getting absolutely destroyed. Anyway, in the second half of the game crouch started putting himself into more central positions and scored two goals and Liverpool won the game. But Rafa wasn’t happy with Crouch as he’d put his own game above that of the team...!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Sanchino » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:19 am
The short corner routine is absolutely pointless.

Reminds me of a story Peter Crouch said from his time at Liverpool when Rafa was in charge. Rafa played Kuyt as the striker, Bellamy on the right wing and Crouch on the left wing (if you can believe that). Crouch said he had a shocker in the first half as half the time he ended up in the LB position and getting absolutely destroyed. Anyway, in the second half of the game crouch started putting himself into more central positions and scored two goals and Liverpool won the game. But Rafa wasn’t happy with Crouch as he’d put his own game above that of the team...!
That sounds nuts. Bring back King Pardew! Last manager to get us in the top 6 :bandit: <run>

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Colly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:26 pm

At least Pardew's corner routine was consistently bad, he didn't ever lure you into thinking we might occasionally just stick it in the mixer. Rafa's a tease.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Lejeune looked class yesterday, I’ll be much more confident about our chances of survival with him in the team. Our best defender.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Hjl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Heisen wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am
Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 am
I must admit im a little concerned about Rafas reaction to the goal. Does having his own way really matter more to him than scoring a goal? thats f***ing nuts.
Haven't seen it, what does he do? Surely he's not in a huff because we didn't play the corner short?
The goal goes in and everyone is cheering, except Rafa who genuinely looks pissed off. Dont know if it was because of the corner routine or because he wants us to lose to prove him right? Either way, he lost a huge amount of credibility in my eyes.

7:23 mins in


User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Gold
10 Champs Gold
Posts: 11377
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by TJR » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm
Lejeune looked class yesterday, I’ll be much more confident about our chances of survival with him in the team. Our best defender.
Yeah I agree.

It was around this time last season he came back from injury and our form turned around. Dubravka and Kenedy get a lot of the credit for that due to the impact they had but Lejeune coming back was just as important.

It'll be intresting to see him and Fernandez at the back together, I'd say they're our best 2 defenders and I think they'd compliment each other well.

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8577
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Heisen wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am


Haven't seen it, what does he do? Surely he's not in a huff because we didn't play the corner short?
The goal goes in and everyone is cheering, except Rafa who genuinely looks pissed off. Dont know if it was because of the corner routine or because he wants us to lose to prove him right? Either way, he lost a huge amount of credibility in my eyes.

7:23 mins in


What a load of absolute f***ing bollocks. That's edited to make it look that way. No one else in that shot is celebrating a goal so clearly taken at a different time. We have no idea what Benitez is reacting to, but it's not a Newcastle goal being scored.

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Hjl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:45 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm
Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm


The goal goes in and everyone is cheering, except Rafa who genuinely looks pissed off. Dont know if it was because of the corner routine or because he wants us to lose to prove him right? Either way, he lost a huge amount of credibility in my eyes.

7:23 mins in


What a load of absolute f***ing bollocks. That's edited to make it look that way. No one else in that shot is celebrating a goal so clearly taken at a different time. We have no idea what Benitez is reacting to, but it's not a Newcastle goal being scored.
That's what I saw live, even the commentators said he looks pretty mad about something.

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Hjl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm
Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm


The goal goes in and everyone is cheering, except Rafa who genuinely looks pissed off. Dont know if it was because of the corner routine or because he wants us to lose to prove him right? Either way, he lost a huge amount of credibility in my eyes.

7:23 mins in


What a load of absolute f***ing bollocks. That's edited to make it look that way. No one else in that shot is celebrating a goal so clearly taken at a different time. We have no idea what Benitez is reacting to, but it's not a Newcastle goal being scored.
Now that I look at it again with a more critical eye it does look like some producer is cutting it. Looks like an earlier corner or something.

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 pm

I'm sure that on the stream I was watching the commentator said it was to do withe the chance Chelsea had immediately after we scored the goal.

I may be wrong though.

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8577
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by PTAO? » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm



What a load of absolute f***ing bollocks. That's edited to make it look that way. No one else in that shot is celebrating a goal so clearly taken at a different time. We have no idea what Benitez is reacting to, but it's not a Newcastle goal being scored.
Now that I look at it again with a more critical eye it does look like some producer is cutting it. Looks like an earlier corner or something.
Didn't watch the game or coverage but by what I'm reading I think it might have been Rio and Keys in the editing room.

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2722
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Hjl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 am

PTAO? wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm
Hjl wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 pm


Now that I look at it again with a more critical eye it does look like some producer is cutting it. Looks like an earlier corner or something.
Didn't watch the game or coverage but by what I'm reading I think it might have been Rio and Keys in the editing room.
I do hope your being facetious.

Post Reply