Lovely article on Perez

User avatar
krully
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Location: Ireland

Lovely article on Perez

Post by krully » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 am


seaside nipper
Ritchie's Tips
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:34 am
Location: West of Scotland by the sea

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by seaside nipper » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 am

Yup, fair enough.
He is a frustrating player because he can do the special and yet also look the complete antithesis of a player at times. It appears he has most certainly upped his game since Almiron arrived, maybe focussed his mind and no doubt given him as well as others a lift.
Perez is a confidence player and has undoubted great ability. The craziness is that players like him are consistent with their inconsistency.
Would I have him in the team.....................yes, no question.
Clydeside & Tyneside

User avatar
Blue & Maroon
Final Nail
Final Nail
Posts: 10386
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: York

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:01 am

Looks like a free man now Almiron has taken some of the creative weight off his shoulders.

User avatar
lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc
Posts: 1368
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Stavanger

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:54 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again Ayoze gets a lot of unmerited criticism, as the article states he has 42 goals for us in 184 games for 1.5m signing that is great value.
<ayo>

User avatar
Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9024
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm

I think he can come across as a bit of a wanker sometimes, in a few behind the scenes videos he seems to have a bit of an attitude about him, the Finger in the Ear thing kinda finalized that for me, as a footballer if you have a shitty patch you are always going to get criticism, that celebration started happening when he was still putting in half arsed and shoddy performances for us and it was obviously antagonizing some fans yet he didn't seem bothered about how it was being received. obviously now hes playing better and getting goals that has all died down but it still doesnt change the fact it was a wankerish statement to begin with.
TINO'S ON FIRE BARCELONA'S TERRIFIED
Image

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Colly » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm
I think he can come across as a bit of a w***** sometimes, in a few behind the scenes videos he seems to have a bit of an attitude about him, the Finger in the Ear thing kinda finalized that for me, as a footballer if you have a s***ty patch you are always going to get criticism, that celebration started happening when he was still putting in half arsed and shoddy performances for us and it was obviously antagonizing some fans yet he didn't seem bothered about how it was being received. obviously now hes playing better and getting goals that has all died down but it still doesnt change the fact it was a wankerish statement to begin with.
I disagree entirely with this. There's a sizeable portion of our fan base who are vocally anti Perez without considering any other factors like our style of play and the task Rafa has set him. The idiots who sit behind me seem to think he should be constantly sprinting after centre halfs, showing an utter absence of knowledge of how football actually works, and even Saturday were slating him for "not sprinting" and "bottling" aerial balls he had no right to win. Yes he's sometimes inconsistent, but if he wasn't he'd be playing somewhere good with an actual supply line. Those people deserve the fingers in ears celebration and I for one f***ing love it.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Whether it’s tactics or not, he has regularly missed relatively simple chances over the years which is what irks people. Then he’ll score once against someone like Brighton and think he’s proved a point. He’s in good form now, and he had that decent run at the end of last season so I’ll enjoy it while it lasts. Hopefully he carries on and having Almiron buzzing around will help his game. He’s a confidence player so hopefully he can carry that on v Bournemouth.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19374
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:20 pm

In basic terms he's often s*** and misses goals that 'Arrys Sandra would score so his few and far between good performances are frustrating.

Get your fingers out your f***ing ears and thank the fans for their patience and maybe wave a bit more.

User avatar
Beatski
Punderful
Punderful
Posts: 22459
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Beatski » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm
I think he can come across as a bit of a w***** sometimes, in a few behind the scenes videos he seems to have a bit of an attitude about him, the Finger in the Ear thing kinda finalized that for me, as a footballer if you have a s***ty patch you are always going to get criticism, that celebration started happening when he was still putting in half arsed and shoddy performances for us and it was obviously antagonizing some fans yet he didn't seem bothered about how it was being received. obviously now hes playing better and getting goals that has all died down but it still doesnt change the fact it was a wankerish statement to begin with.
Half arsed? Nice example of the continued undue over-criticism he gets. Nowt he does will ever be enough for some fans.


And hed have a ridiculous amount of assists if anyone else in the side could finish, yet they don't get criticism for it

User avatar
Beatski
Punderful
Punderful
Posts: 22459
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Beatski » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm

More than goals and assists If you weren’t surprised by Pérez’s creative ability this season did you know he’s one of the best defensive forwards in the Premier League?

As the graphic above shows the 25-year-old has recovered possession more often than any forward this season and is also best for interceptions too. Indeed he was top for interceptions last season (24) and the sixth-best forward for recoveries (132) but it is interesting that, as with his chances created tally, he has already made more interceptions this season than he did last.

Still not impressed? OK well, as the graphic below shows, Pérez has made the most tackles of any forward this season and is fourth-best for winning the ball back high up the pitch.
Half arsed
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -w28gq336q

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 7524
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Toondes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Ive got to be honest , there’s stil games where I watch him and he frustrates the s*** out of me but having said that , he’s a very intelligent footballer and is hugely underrated . There always a player at a club who the fans don’t take too and it’s not just our club. He is starting to win people round but I think the thing that’s missing is consistency. I don’t mean he should be scoring or assisting every game but a lot of the time he is anonymous . He’s in a good form right now and fingers crossed he can keep it up.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

User avatar
Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Rafa's Goatee
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 pm

The response to him reminds me a lot of the way fans used to react to Shola (who as you may know I have a lot of love for), in so much that he polarises opinion, a point already evidenced in the opening few comments on here.

I do get the comparisons to a point - he gets picked week in and week out for a reason, which I assume is to do with what is seen on the training ground, despite him having limitations in most areas of his game. And then he gets battered for not being amazing all of the time. But I'm reluctant to criticise him (always, because he's also not exempt) for that as he seems to put in the effort and give it his best.

He can only work with what he has (and I'm sure he knows the flaws in his game) but to go into work and get booed by fans who are supposed to be on his side purely because he makes mistakes seems harsh, therefore I do get the celebration.

I've never considered him lazy, just limited. Yet he does seem to step up on occasion and can make a difference, especially in what has been a very limited team during his time.

But he's no Shola. I f***ing love Shola. He's even better now he's a pundit and I get to see his beauty in glorious HD.
There is no sin except stupidity.

User avatar
Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Posts: 8751
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Speedo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 am

Beatski wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm
More than goals and assists If you weren’t surprised by Pérez’s creative ability this season did you know he’s one of the best defensive forwards in the Premier League?

As the graphic above shows the 25-year-old has recovered possession more often than any forward this season and is also best for interceptions too. Indeed he was top for interceptions last season (24) and the sixth-best forward for recoveries (132) but it is interesting that, as with his chances created tally, he has already made more interceptions this season than he did last.

Still not impressed? OK well, as the graphic below shows, Pérez has made the most tackles of any forward this season and is fourth-best for winning the ball back high up the pitch.
Half arsed
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -w28gq336q
Everybody should read this article. I have had mixed feelings on Pérez, he’s persuaded me recently, and this article quantifies why. Yes he has some limitations, but he’s so critical to how we play - in terms of chances created and tracking back. Any limitations he has - and he does have them - are more a reflection of where we are as a club vs. of him. Along with Dubravka, Rondon, Ritchie, Schär/Lejeune and now Almiron, he is utterly critical to what we do and how we play.
I had the first custom w***

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Colly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 pm
The response to him reminds me a lot of the way fans used to react to Shola (who as you may know I have a lot of love for), in so much that he polarises opinion, a point already evidenced in the opening few comments on here.

I do get the comparisons to a point - he gets picked week in and week out for a reason, which I assume is to do with what is seen on the training ground, despite him having limitations in most areas of his game. And then he gets battered for not being amazing all of the time. But I'm reluctant to criticise him (always, because he's also not exempt) for that as he seems to put in the effort and give it his best.

He can only work with what he has (and I'm sure he knows the flaws in his game) but to go into work and get booed by fans who are supposed to be on his side purely because he makes mistakes seems harsh, therefore I do get the celebration.

I've never considered him lazy, just limited. Yet he does seem to step up on occasion and can make a difference, especially in what has been a very limited team during his time.

But he's no Shola. I f***ing love Shola. He's even better now he's a pundit and I get to see his beauty in glorious HD.
All of this, and also where is Shola punditing?!?

<love>

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:47 am

Colly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am
Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 pm
The response to him reminds me a lot of the way fans used to react to Shola (who as you may know I have a lot of love for), in so much that he polarises opinion, a point already evidenced in the opening few comments on here.

I do get the comparisons to a point - he gets picked week in and week out for a reason, which I assume is to do with what is seen on the training ground, despite him having limitations in most areas of his game. And then he gets battered for not being amazing all of the time. But I'm reluctant to criticise him (always, because he's also not exempt) for that as he seems to put in the effort and give it his best.

He can only work with what he has (and I'm sure he knows the flaws in his game) but to go into work and get booed by fans who are supposed to be on his side purely because he makes mistakes seems harsh, therefore I do get the celebration.

I've never considered him lazy, just limited. Yet he does seem to step up on occasion and can make a difference, especially in what has been a very limited team during his time.

But he's no Shola. I f***ing love Shola. He's even better now he's a pundit and I get to see his beauty in glorious HD.
All of this, and also where is Shola punditing?!?

<love>
Turns up on Sky for our games occasionally.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Chappy
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze
Posts: 5180
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Chappy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

Beatski wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm
More than goals and assists If you weren’t surprised by Pérez’s creative ability this season did you know he’s one of the best defensive forwards in the Premier League?

As the graphic above shows the 25-year-old has recovered possession more often than any forward this season and is also best for interceptions too. Indeed he was top for interceptions last season (24) and the sixth-best forward for recoveries (132) but it is interesting that, as with his chances created tally, he has already made more interceptions this season than he did last.

Still not impressed? OK well, as the graphic below shows, Pérez has made the most tackles of any forward this season and is fourth-best for winning the ball back high up the pitch.
Half arsed
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -w28gq336q
<applause> <applause> <applause>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

User avatar
Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Rafa's Goatee
Posts: 820
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:47 am
Colly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am


All of this, and also where is Shola punditing?!?

<love>
Turns up on Sky for our games occasionally.
Also appears on the BBC Football Daily Podcast from time to time. I make it my mission to get as much Shola in my life as possible.
There is no sin except stupidity.

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 7524
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Toondes » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Shola was s****.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Lovely article on Perez

Post by Colly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Get out.

Post Reply